1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Best way to share Ethernet connection in back bedroom?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by chupacabra31, Dec 7, 2012.

  1. macrumors member

    So I have an ethernet cable plugged into my modem/router in the living room going back to a distant bedroom (about 25 feet cable). I have two computers back here that need to share this connection. What is the best device for doing that? Would it be a switch?
  2. macrumors 6502a


    Or buy an Airport Extreme, TimeCapsule, or any wireless AP if they are wireless capable.
  3. macrumors 6502a

    RE: powerline adapters...

    Hi chupacabra31,

    As mwhities answers, a switch allows you to connect more than one device to your ethernet LAN, and I like mwhities suggestion of a wireless network too, as this eliminates the long ethernet cable.

    But let's say that you don't want to have that 25 foot long ethernet cable strung between your bedroom and your router, and you don't want to use a WiFi router for some reason (perhaps, say, your two computers do not have WiFi built-in and you don't want to use USB WiFi dongles) --- then have you thought about using powerline adapters? These extend your LAN over the AC wires in your residence. You plug one adapter into an AC plug near your modem/router and connect it into your router via a short ethernet cable, then you plug a second adapter into an AC plug near your computers in the bedroom and connect it to both computers via short ethernet cables. No need to string a long ethernet cable from your living room to the bedroom. I've seen specifications for powerline adapters that provide 500 Mbps communication speeds, not quite Gigabit speeds, but close enough for most applications. And most powerline adapters also have 4 ethernet ports, so up to four devices may be connected to each adapter.

    ...just another option...

  4. macrumors member

    No wifi. Just need to split an Ethernet connection between two computers.

    If I get a switch will I be able to access the internet at the same time on both computers?
  5. macrumors 6502a

    Yes, with an ethernet switch, say the Netgear GS108T, you can then connect both of your computers to your LAN (local network) which is connected through your modem/router to the Internet.

  6. macrumors member

    They can access the internet at the same time without incident?

    Thanks so much!
  7. macrumors 6502a

    RE: Yes...

    Hi chupacabra31,

    Yes, using a switch to connect both of your computers to your LAN network allows both to access the Internet through your modem/router at the same time without incident. It will work. (I am assuming that your current modem/router is configured to act as a router, that is, it will assign LAN IP addresses to both of your computers and perform the proper NAT - Network Address Translation. Most any modern router will do this, but you will likely have to set this up on your router -- some software apps or web-based management tools make this setup nearly transparent to the user. If your router can also act as a SPI Firewall, then configuring this will add some security to your system. The switch I listed above, the Netgear GS108T, does Quality of Service, guest VLAN, MAC port security, ACLs, and web-based management. If you wish to have even greater security, then the Netgear FVS318G switch provides a SPI Firewall with NAT along with 5 VPN tunnels. And no, I am not employed by Netgear, these are just the switches that I am familiar with, but you can buy similar switches from any of the companies making network equipment. Your current modem/router may already provide a firewall for you, so you won't need your switch to also provide a firewall.)

    If you will never have more than the two computers connected (so, no WiFi router, no Network Attached Storage, no Apple TV, no Internet TV, no network printer), then a simple 3 or 4 port switch will work for you (I believe it is difficult to find 2 port switches; I have seen, however, so-called "splitter cables" that act as a "Y" splitter -- I've never used these splitter cables, so I don't know how well they work, but in theory this is all you should need).

    Good luck,

Share This Page