Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlhubley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
Austin
I just bought a 12.1" G4 iBook, and already own a G3 B&W 400mhz. I had the iBook come with Airport Extreme as well as bluetooth. I also got the free-after-rebate Epson C84 printer. I want to be able to share files and possible the same printer for these two machines. I understand I can share files with just a crossover ethernet cable. But what is the best, most clutter-free way to acheive the file sharing? What about the printer? Internet connection(dial-up)? I am interested in wireless options as well.

rlhubley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
Austin
No one has ANY suggestions on this. REALLY???? C'mon guys, surely some of you has something to offer me.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Re: Best way to share files/printer

Originally posted by rlhubley
I just bought a 12.1" G4 iBook, and already own a G3 B&W 400mhz. I had the iBook come with Airport Extreme as well as bluetooth. I also got the free-after-rebate Epson C84 printer. I want to be able to share files and possible the same printer for these two machines. I understand I can share files with just a crossover ethernet cable. But what is the best, most clutter-free way to acheive the file sharing? What about the printer? Internet connection(dial-up)? I am interested in wireless options as well.

Couple ways. First, and cheapest, is to get an airport card for your B+W (I'm not sure if those are 'Airport-ready' but if the're not you can always get a usb wireless card. Then you can use that computer to connect to the internet and share it's signal with others. You can connect the printer to it and turn on print sharing and voila you are sharing files and the printer for about $100.

Option 2 would be to actually go get an AE base station. This is the most expensive option since you will need the $250 version to use dial-up. However, it is also the easiest and cleanest. Plug your B+W into the one provided ethernet port, and your new 'book goes wireless. The printer plugs into the base station and both computers can use it. That's my setup and I love it.

A thrid option is to replace the $250 AE wth a cheaper 'g' wireless router and still share the printer from the B+W. That will cost you about $100 or less with rebates.

Unclej78

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2002
Georgia
Yes, I agree with option C. I have a Linksys Wireless G. I spent @ $125 on my Wireless G Router, then have rebates making it less than $100.

Works great with my G4 12" Powerbook. As soon as I had the router talking to the modem correctly, my powerbook didn't need any setup it saw it right off the bat.

I'm loving it, I have the Powerbook charger next to the sofa plugged in and surf wireless. My router is hooked up to my Cable Modem.

I also have a B&W, iMac, 8500 connected wired. I'm looking to put my B&W wireless, and get a airport card for my iMac.

Also setting up the printer was extremely easy. I have my Cx3200 connected to B&W and can printer from either machines at will.

Fabrix2003

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2003
Cheshire UK
Did you say you could just plug a base station into the back of your pinter andyuor wireless computers just pick it up, this true? via the usb hub? that would be interesting on my HP Deskjet 9680. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.