Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
So I've been preparing for this project in Media Arts, and I'm trying to figure out what to do for this car accident. At first I wanted to do a screech cut to black with screech still going type thing, but I thought that was too cliche/lame, so I'm trying to think of another way to fake it.

One idea is to angle the camera just right so once two cars drive past eachother, it might look like they hit or something.

My second idea would be to split the screen but keep the camera exactly the same and have two cars swirve by the camera from each direction at different times, and try to get the timing perfect and cut it right before they hit eachother. I was thinking this might be easier but tougher at the same time.

Any one else have any good ideas on what to do?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Show the cars coming close to each other then shoot the drivers right before impact and get the expression as the cars would hit. The effect is the viewer sees the drivers as the cars are about to collide. Add sound effects and you have a car crash.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
is the project an entire film that the crash is a part of? or is the project just a car crash?

you should either preserve or contrast the narrative and visual language of the scene if it is one part of a larger thing. preserve if you want it to flow within the movie, contrast if you want to be a particularly jarring and devastating moment.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
You could always try and green screen the windshield from the inside and then get another shot of the other car coming forward

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.