Best way to simulate or fake a car accident

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kgarchar, Jan 25, 2007.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

So I've been preparing for this project in Media Arts, and I'm trying to figure out what to do for this car accident. At first I wanted to do a screech cut to black with screech still going type thing, but I thought that was too cliche/lame, so I'm trying to think of another way to fake it.

One idea is to angle the camera just right so once two cars drive past eachother, it might look like they hit or something.

My second idea would be to split the screen but keep the camera exactly the same and have two cars swirve by the camera from each direction at different times, and try to get the timing perfect and cut it right before they hit eachother. I was thinking this might be easier but tougher at the same time.

Any one else have any good ideas on what to do?

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I don't find anything wrong with screech to black if done right.

Film the the two cars driving toward each other from the perspective of inside the car a la VW accident commercial, and just cut right before they hit.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Have a car rush up to the camera and freeze frame zoomed in tight on the grille the 'instant before impact'. Sound effects are good here.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Show the cars coming close to each other then shoot the drivers right before impact and get the expression as the cars would hit. The effect is the viewer sees the drivers as the cars are about to collide. Add sound effects and you have a car crash.

5. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

This is a small chase scene (with a "car wreck") I did last semester. You'll have to forgive the lame voice overs - I simply ran out of time before it was due. Unfortunately I couldn't even show the person chasing the main character.

http://www.trudd.com/video/Taylor_Rudd_Chase_Scene.m4v

6. shecky Guest

shecky

is the project an entire film that the crash is a part of? or is the project just a car crash?

you should either preserve or contrast the narrative and visual language of the scene if it is one part of a larger thing. preserve if you want it to flow within the movie, contrast if you want to be a particularly jarring and devastating moment.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I like that idea. A lot cheaper than actually wrecking a car too.

9. Jopling macrumors 6502

You could always try and green screen the windshield from the inside and then get another shot of the other car coming forward

10. Cloud9 macrumors regular

Film it in reverse and alter the playback time.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Seconded. :D