Best way to spend $100...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by noahsnyc, Oct 7, 2004.

1. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Alright, I'm probably going to create a monster, but here goes:

A couple of days ago was my 21st birthday, and it was wonderful.
    As a small token of appreciation to myself, I've decided to spend $100.

I'm very much committed to $100 (no more, no less, well, except tax) as a good amount without feeling guilty. $150 is pushing it and $70 will just make me feel as if I didn't fully go for "it".

So, here I am, ready to accept any and all recommendations for what to do with my $100.

I'm definitely leaning more in the way of a gadget or gizmo, possibly a cell phone upgrade (I'm AT&T GSM with a nice Nokia 3200) or maybe even that new OGO (definitely in the race)...

I think I'm good with RAM (everyone's favorite suggestion...), especially since I'm looking for something to "play with"...

All suggestions are very much appreciated, I trust you guys...!

Thanks

N.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, you could hold onto the $100 and save it till next year and have $200...

Get a game console with that :D

But it was your 21st - so do something appropriate - get a $100 bottle of Scotch, invite some friends over.....

Happy Birthday! ;)

D

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If you are interested in a gadget or gizmo it sounds as though you may have answered yoru question. I would reccomend ending up with something to show for your money.

Happy 21st B-Day noahsnyc. ;)

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

5. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

6. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

get some cool things a thinkgeek.com those things are always fun... :rolleyes: ;)

7. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

You guys are funny -

First off, thanks for all the nice wishes. It's funny, the last thing I expected was for folks to actually wish me a "happy birthday"...it warms the cockles of my heart.

Now, everyone seems to be leaning towards booze, which makes sense. Unfortunately, my 21st birthday has been pretty anti-climactic b/c I don't drink! If I did, I'd totally go out with buddies and watch that $100 go quick. Hell, I might do that anyways and watch my buddies get toasted.

As far as the gizmo or gadget goes, I've definitely looked at the OGO (first in line) and the Nokia 6820, but all you folks seem to have the latest and greatest or the "sleeper hit" that I figured my lay-brain wouldn't know, which is why I asked.

Basically, I'm looking for options and something unique and cutting edge, endorsed by one or more of the fine posters at Macrumors' Forums...all for the magic number of $100....That's the catch!

Thanks again for all the fun suggestions and nice wishes...

N.

8. cubist macrumors 68020

A USB headset and Mac OS X Skype - $50
    Firewire enclosure for external hard drive - $75 or so
    DVD-R drive for your Power Mac - $100 (New Egg)
    Airport card (used) and gray Airport hub (used) for around $100
    Nice 19" used monitor for around $100
    Nice replacement keyboard for around $60 and a 2-button optical trackball for around $60 (cheating a little here)
    Upgrade speakers like JBL Creatures or something like that, $80 or so
    Bluetooth dongle and bluetooth mouse or keyboard $100 total
    RAM upgrade for your iMac
    Airport Express (cheating a little more here)
    Used Newton 2100

9. ebook macrumors 6502

I've got it. This is perfect. If I were you this is what I would do. I mean, if you do this you would make me very jealous.

Get an iPod mini!!!!!!! You say, "those cost too much!" I say, sell your old 5 gig iPod and then use the $100 to buy the mini. I mean sure you'll lose 1 gig, but really big deal. You'll get a smaller, better looking iPod in return. Also, it will be new with no wear and with possibly a slightly better battery life (because it's newer?). I would suggest blue, but that's just me. I mean if you can use the edu you discount I think it's possible.

There you go, that's my suggestion.

10. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

Quite an ingenious suggestion, and not one that didn't cross my mind. The thing is, I've got 15GB of music that I love, and I already really do feel the burn at just having 5GB on my sweet old iPod. I couldn't bear to lose a gig of space, even if it meant getting a pretty new Mini (I'd get blue, also)...

I was hoping beyond hope to get a 4G for the birthday, but alas, it didn't happen. I kind of like my old 1G iPod (now that the form factor is back to the "round" control everyone thinks it's a 4G anyways!)...the space is the real issue.

Great suggestion, though, ebook...I appreciate it!

N.

11. ebook macrumors 6502

Ahh, it was worth a try...hmmmm...well, I guess I don't really have any other suggestions. Maybe a used EyeTV type of thing so you can watch t.v. on your computer...but, I don't know how much those cost. I guess that's about all I have. Good luck on figuring something out.

12. djkny macrumors 6502

Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard ($79) and a bowl of Coldstone Creamery.

13. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

Good one, but with the laptop, I'm trying to keep everything as portable as possible.

Coldstone is pretty rocking in concept, although I find that the ice cream itself is a little rubbery for me...probably needs that consistency for all the mashing that goes on...

Cheers

n.

14. Devie macrumors 6502a

GameCubes are $100.00 over there, arnt they? ;)
    I'm sure there would be some free game deal going on somewhere too...

15. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

What about some sort of PDA? I know you can get a basic model for around $100.

allison.

16. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Can't resist...

[​IMG]

:D

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Have an iSight yet? Ok, it's a bit over $100 but it is one nice piece of equipment. Besides this you could trade the 100 bucks in for pennies, fill up your jakuzzi and bathe in money :D

Oh, and happy 21st bday. :D

18. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

well if you can push it just a little then i say go for

powermac g5
    dual 2.5ghz
    8gb RAM
    nvidia 6800
    dual 30inch screens

yeah that should make you feel good...

19. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Damn...beat me to it ;)

20. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

why don't you just call some of your closest friends and take them out for a good lunch, which you pay for? just have some good time, talk and laugh :) i bet you will be a lot happier with the experience than buying some odd gadget which you will abandon before your next birthday.

after all, friends and loved ones are your most valuable things on earth and the source of the greatest happiness.

oh, and good birthday :)

21. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Awesome idea.

Or -

Walk into a local AIDS clinic or Women's Shelter and ask them what they need that would cost about $100. The go out and buy it, bring it back and watch them give you best birthday present you could ever have.

Hey - HAPPY 21st!!!!!

22. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Give your parents a present for holding you... I did it when I turned 18 ...:cool:

23. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Mate, you really should have read this sentence several times before hitting the 'submit' button. :rolleyes:

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Go on eBay and buy a Newton... :) I have two (and am working on getting a third)... they're lovely to play around with.