Best way to spend $3000 on desk/Lap??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sbb155, Feb 19, 2005.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

Ok, honored gentlemen, I need your expert opinion.
    I have $3000 to spend for a desktop/laptop combination
    My uses will be video editing (FCE), Keynote presentations via laptop, some basic email/etc.
    I have the software already, so this is a hardware issue.
    I can't stand WORKING on a small laptop, I like the desktop for work, but I need the laptop for presentations. Desktop for the video editing.
    I have a monitor already.

What are the options... here is what I have come up with...
    1. 1.8 DP PM + 12" ibook
    2. 1.8 iMac G5 + 12-15" PB
    3. 17" PB...

anything else?

I would love your opinions.

Samantha

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

My opinion would be your option #1. It sounds like you really want the desktop for heavy lifting, so the the dual powermac should be a significant upgrade over the imac in terms of performance. The laptop, on the other hand, is just mostly for light work like presentations, and I don't see why you would need more than an ibook for that.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd go with a low end iBook (as all you want to do is presentations and light stuff on it, not hardcore work) and spend the rest on the best PM you can afford.

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

I'd say option 2, but seeing as you already have a display, option 1 is the only logical choice...

Unless you want to go for a completely pimped-out 17"PB, which wouldn't be a very smart decision either...
    Go for the PM.

reality

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Yeah, I'll pile on that if the desktop is going to be doing the meat of your work, and the portable will be little more than a hard drive you carry around with a monitor/projector attached, it doesn't make sense to drop more money on the laptop. I select option 1, unless your presentation needs require something more than a 12" can offer.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'd go with #1, get a sweet little iBook to play your presentations and get the biggest, meanest beast of a PowerMac you can afford for your desktop. A PowerMac is also far more upgradeable than any iMac (or Laptop). A 17" PB is nice, but is nowhere near a dual 1.8 or 2.0 G5 in raw power (which is nice when video editing. But, hey, I used to edit videos with Media 100 on an old 8500, so if you want the 17" for showing off then I'm sure it will do the trick, with a cool 1 TB external FireWire HD).

7. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Here's what I would do....

Get the 17" iMac (1.8) and a 12" iBook with max RAM.

8. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i haven't looked at the prices lately, but you did say you can't stand lookin at a small laptop so why not the 14" iBook?

9. iRez macrumors member

If you need the portable for presentations only, why not carry a mac mini around. $500 more could get you an even better desktop. If this isn't a choice your interested in, then I say go for the PM and iB.

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

agreed. a maxed out powermac and an iBook. Once I get my powermac paid off I plan on getting a ibook simply because whatever your iBook can't handle the powermac can!

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Samantha, Your choices may be a matter of immediate need vs. wants.

Since you already have a monitor, you might be able to get by on a NEW 1.5 Ghz 12" PowerBook
    using your larger display for intensive projects. $1399 student pricing w combo drive $1499 with Superdrive.

THEN wait just a bit longer till Apple upgrades the PowerMacs and take advantage of any price drops and feature changes.

Most likely we're looking at June for the next PM upgrades and that gives you time to work with the PowerBook, evaluate your needs and save just a bit more money for a serious PowerMac.

Otherwise, you might consider the 1.8 and 2.0 dual Powermac refurbs
    $1699 for a 1.8 $2099 for a 2.0
    There are also several great deals on closeout 133GHz PowerBooks and iBooks in the
    RED TAG SALE area of the Apple Store.

No matter what you choose you're going to have a great working combination if you buy wisely.

12. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh no...
    I book can't do a presenter display on screen, and run a projector.. is that correct?
    Looks like powerbook may be the way to go.

I really liked the last gentleman's suggestion, my question is, can I use the PB12" temporarily for minor video editing? How sluggish is it?

Is keynote 2 on the PB going to be OK?
    samantha

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

http://macparts.de/ibook, works a treat ;)

14. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

yes, but a popular "hack" allows this. of course, then you are dealing with 16MB VRAM per screen, if that matters to you.

I think it's fine; others here are far more experienced but that seems to be the impression you'd get from reading this forum.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You should be fine as long as you get the faster 12" PB with Superdrive.

16. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

?? Both 12" PBs, Combo- and Super-, are 1.5 GHz ... did you mean faster than an iBook? Or did you mean get rev. D and not rev. C?

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the first option # 1) looks to be the best one

i don't think that # 2) option with the powerbook and (largely unexpandable) G5 imac are as strong as combo as the (expandable) G5 power mac and ibook

now if there were G5 powerbooks then i could see the a powerbook/imac combo as equal

either way, options #1, 2, or 3 are better than any pc combo i can think of for what you need it for

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...but since i used to be a pc tech

...or rather i am working out of that ill trade...he he, i would suggest for all you pc users out there to go sony if you must go the pc route with graphics and video editing

but since sony is every bit as expensive as apple, for you lifetime pc users out there, take the plunge and go mac :)

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I meant to indicate a preference towards the NEW 1.5 Ghz 12" PB with the newest Superdrive.

The 12" PB is the perfect portable for a professional lady to carry around
    that offers all the features necessary to get her work done.

This will give her a great little machine to work with NOW
    while giving her time to evaluate her needs in a Tower.

If Apple changes the motherboards in the next PowerMac revision
    to accept PCI-Express or Dual Core 970MP, then a few short months
    is well worth the wait for a TigerMac

20. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

The 12" PB will run Keynote 2 like a beauty. I run it on my 1.42GHz G4 desktop and it's fine. The PB is a lot more pro looking than the iBook, if that matters to you.

21. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

FFTT:
    You are making a lot of sense to me...
    My question is, will the 12 PB be significantly better/worse than the 15" for editing... the 15 offers a much better graphics card, right? Does that matter (at the 64 level, not the 128)
    Secondly,
    if I buy the combo drive, the iDVD won't be installed? If I buy an external firewire dvd+-rw, how do I get iDVD? Do I have to pay for it?

Thanks gentlemen
    Samantha

22. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

I'm pretty certain that iDVD would still be included... isn't iMovie what's used for editing?

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If the portable was going to be your only machine, then the 1.67 GHz 15"
    with the 128 GPU would be great, but it's not necessary if you're getting
    a PowerMac too.
    You're also talking $2099@ student price invested in a G4 processor
    and a 15" PB is not all that easy to lug around.

As long as you have your larger monitor to work with, I think you'll
    be delighted with the 12" PB. The difference of $100 for the Superdrive
    is well worth it.

24. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

iDVD is included on the ComboDrive versions. I don't know the exact details of its compatibility with certain external devices.

25. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

issue #2 for powerbook..
    video editing...
    if I capture to an external hard drive, I presume that would have to be a USB hard drive, since the firewire would be connected to my DV Cam Deck... Is that a disadvantage for the 12" or does it not really matter?

I appreciate all of your advice.
    I wish you could tell me when the PMs would be updated...

Samantha