Best way to stream media from Mac to Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Funkymonk, Dec 28, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2011
  2. macrumors member

Jan 28, 2010
    I use connect360, I have been using it for quite a while it is not free but works very well. You can get it on app store $19.99. It works the best of all the programs I have tried. I dont even remember the other ones I have tried because they didn't work well.
  3. macrumors 68040

Sep 16, 2007
    Albuquerque, USA
    I use PlayBack. I highly doubt you'll find a free program that'll do the same as connect360 or Playback.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2007
  5. macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
  6. Oli3000, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2009

Excellent bit of a kit as it won't just allow you to stream, but also does live transcoding of unsupported file formats so you don't have to bother converting everything!

Also it will stream to any DLNA device - other laptop, TV, etc. etc. etc., and its free!
  7. macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2008
    Chalk up another one for the PS3 Media Server, I have used it for a couple of years now on both my PS3 and Xbox without problem.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2012
    I have managed to get my Mac to see my Xbox however I cannot get the Xbox to view the Mac? Any suggestions?
  9. macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2012
    I'm also struggling with this. I've tried a variety of different programs and none of them are showing up on 360's video player page.
  10. macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2007
    I used to use Connect360 and it worked pretty well but honestly...

An AppleTV is what I use now and it's a billion times better.
  11. macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2008
    Southern California
    I also used Connect360 but found the AirPlay option to be so much better. Mostly because I have a nice point and click interface on my laptop rather than a controller joystick navigated clunky process on the 360 itself.
  12. macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I use PS3 Media Server for both my PS3 and XBOX. Works great on both. I didn't even have to change any settings when I first tried it with the 360.
  13. macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2012
    Free App to stream to Mac

Try Rivet. It's a discontinued app from the little app factory. It's free and it works. Here's the link

Just run the app and configure it to the proper directories with your movies. Then on your xBox, go to Video Player and select your laptop as the source and you should be able to navigate to the folders you specified with your movies.
  14. macrumors member

Nov 12, 2010
    Twonky Media server works good for me. They also have app for iOS devices so you can stream to your mobile and from it (sorta like AirPlay). However, I've only used it to stream from my iMac (and Mini) to my two XBOX360s. I got it free with somethign (don't remember) and then I noticed my new Network Storage drive (NAS) has Twonky Media server pre-loaded to stream directly from my 3TB external drive to my XBOX, iOS devices, etc
  15. macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2013
    Try XBMC Media Server it's free. I use DLNA controller on my iPhone to go through XBMC content and send it to XBox360
  16. macrumors member

Jan 5, 2013
  17. macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2008
    Rivet works well and is now free - used it for some time now.
  18. macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2013
    PS3 Media Server Works

I found this thread, downloaded PS3MS, installed it, and 10mins after my search began I'm streaming from my Xbox. Done. No more transferring shows to my thumb drive!
  19. macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2012
    Belfast, Ireland
    file types

If using the ps3 media server will only xbox supported file types work ?
  20. macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2013
    United Kingdom
    I've just tried Ps3 media server and it does work, however on some files it suffers from really bad audio sync problems.

A million and one settings to choose from - gonna take me a while to tick / untick them all :confused:
  21. macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2013
    Free and works!

I know this is an old thread but I thought it would be good for anyone accessing this thread to know that if you want something that works and is FREE, download Vuze.

Now, I know what you are thinking, Vuze is a bit torrent client... True, but that not all it does. It also allows you to stream content (i.e. movies/music...) from your mac to your xbox.

Check out this link...
  22. macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2013
    Vuze worked for me

I downloaded Connect360. It sucked!

I downloaded PS3MediaServer. It sucked!

I downloaded Vuze. Awesome!

It's Free and Simple. (like your mom)