best way to transfer big files from my pc to mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by passthejonch, Aug 31, 2003.

1. passthejonch macrumors member

i had a pc now i bought an ibook and an ipod

but burning all my files to cds seem to take forever
    is there a simpler way?

can i just directly connect the two with a ethernet cord and transfer files?

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

get an ethernet crossover cable...its real easy to set up and you just connect to one of them...probably the mac connects to the PC and then you transfer the files very very quickly...

3. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Definitely use a crossover cable. I just transferred all my music between my pc and mac and it went very fast. It's very easy to do, and crossover cable's are cheap if you don't already have one.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i don't think you even need a crossover cable, just a regular ethernet cable will do. the mac's ethernet port will be auto-sensing, and it will go into crossover mode if it senses a direct connection.

pnw

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You are correct, however, it may take a few tries.

TEG

6. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

ok im trying to connect usinga regular ethernet cable but i keep getting an error message

an error has occurred (error = -36)

what's wrong? ive enabled windows file sharing, enabled netbios over tcp/ip....
    what's wrong... argh

7. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I did the the reverse of what you are tring to do bought a cheap PC and coped from the mac. Ok what you need to do is: go into my computer>right click on the C drive >click on the sharing tab>agree when it asks if you want to share root>then click "share this folder on the network">Give it an easy "share name">then click "allow network users to change my files"> click OK.

It takes alittle while for it to set the permissions for the whole HD. So dont think it froze your something.

If that doesn't work ill tell you how to connect to the Mac from the PC side. Doing it on the PC works better for me.