best way to transfer files between pc and mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by twoodcc, Aug 28, 2005.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok i finally put 1 gb of RAM in my mac mini, and i've been playing around with imovie. i don't have a superdrive, so i can't burn my movies to dvd. i have a dvd burner on my pc. what's the best thing to do to burn my movie to a dvd? i also have an external enclosure that's usb. it's kinda old, but i got a hard-drive to work in it with the mini, but no luck with a dvd-rw drive. do you think i can get the external dvd-rw to work? should i buy a new one? set-up a network between my pc and mac? what should i do?

thanks in advance

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

Personally, I think you should go with a new external DVD drive for your mini. Here's why...

1. To hook up the pc and the mac, you'd have to go through a router or use a crossover cable to connect them and then go through the hassle (its not always a hassle, but sometimes you just have to work it out a different way)

2. Even though your PC has a DVD burner doesn't mean that the software is anywhere near iDVD's caliber for usability and ease(and I doubt that it would be)

So pretty much, without a new drive you could be moving up to 26 gigs (2 hours of dv) from one computer to another and then having a pc's crappy dvd authoring software take even more time making a dvd that is nowhere close to what iDVD can do.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

as far as idvd goes, can't i burn to an image, and then just burn the dvd with my pc?

i do agree with you though, cuz i've tried before to network my pc and mac and i couldn't get it to work. not saying that it isn't possible.

i'm a college student on a tight budget, so if i can get through this without spending any money, that'd be great. i do have a router, but it's kinda old (at least 2 years, maybe 2.5).

do you think there's any way of getting my current enclosure to work with my mac?

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Play with it an get file sharing to work over your router or an ethernet cable.

Make your DVD image with iDVD. Convert the image to a disk image format the PC can read. Transfer the converted disk image to the PC over your network. Burn the CD.

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the replies.

so it looks like no hope for the enclosure? i know it's going to be hard to setup a network with the pc and mac. maybe i can get it too work. wish me luck

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If you can get Windows to cooperate, networking a Mac and a PC isn't bad at all. I do it daily with very little trouble. As for burning DVDs, you should be able to save an image from iDVD, then send it over the network to the PC and burn it from there with Nero or similar software. I did the other way around with an image created on a PC and burned on a Mac and it worked fine.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. i'll try to network them when i get a chance. i guess i gotta give up on the enclosure though?

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you are having difficulties networking your Mac and PC, check out this guide. :cool:

9. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the link. hopefully i can figure it out

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, glad to help - if you have any further questions, just let us know, hopefully we can get things working for ya...

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i was wondering if my mac and pc can share an external hard-drive? in other words, if i put files from my mac on it, and then hook it up to my pc and copy them. is that possible?

12. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yes, just format the drive to FAT 32, which is limited to a 32GB drive I think (I know FAT32 limits the size, its the 32GB I'm not absolutely sure about). SO either get a small external drive or you can partition a larger one.

13. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

fat32 is limited to files to individual files of 4Gb not a total size of 32GB or else my 200GB drives woulodn't work :p

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Transfering files between a PC and Mac is very easy using FTP. Here is what you do.

To connect two machines using ftp, one has to act as a server and one as a
    client.

OS X comes already with a built-in ftp server (enable from System
    Preferences->sharing>ftp access).

Now you need a client, download a free windows FTP client off the internet
    (smart ftp IIRC) and install it on the PC.

Connect directly both machines with a network cable.

Now you need to setup IPs of both machines to indicate that they are on the
    same network. Set the Mac machine IP address to 192.168.6.1 Netmask to
    255.255.255.0. The PC address to 192.168.6.2 Netmask to 255.255.255.0.

To make sure both machines can see each other open a terminal and try
    to ping the PC (ping 192.168.6.2). Try same from PC, open a command
    window (run->cmd) to ping the Mac (ping 192.168.6.1). If you get replies
    then everything should be fine.

Now open, the ftp client (smartFTP) in windows and enter the IP address
    username and pass for the Mac machine and hit connect. :D

15. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks, i'll try it. so i just have a regular network cable between the two?

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

yep. Good Luck.

17. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i tried the FTP thing, and i couldn't get it to work. i changed my mac ip address, but how do i change my pc's?

i think i'm going to just buy an external dvd burner. that seems the best thing to do, and that way i could burn dvds with idvd. what do ya'll think? i know i already have a dvd burner in my pc desktop and laptop, but still

18. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

1. Log on to the computer.
    2. Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    3. In Control Panel, double-click Network and Dial-up Connections. The Network and Dial-up Connections dialog box opens.
    4. Right-click the local area connection that you want, and then click Properties. The Local Area Network Connection Properties dialog box opens.
    5. In the Components checked are used by this connection box, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties. The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box appears. There change the IP to static and enter the IP address and subnetmask.​

19. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks, i'll try again. what about changing my mac ip address? do i go to network, then change from DCHP (or whatever it is) to DCHP manual?

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, are you setting things up as a private network or not? If yes, then you'll need to assign private addressing to both machines, using a private Class C address (192.168.x.x) - I'm not sure exactly how you are planning on setting things up though.

Oh, and it's DHCP, not DCHP - Dynamic Host Control Protocol. :cool:

21. hmmfe macrumors regular

Not to be nitpicky but since you are correcting people...

DHCP is "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol".

Also, you don't have to use a private class C address. You could use a class A address (10.x.x.x) or a class B address (172.16.x.x).

22. hmmfe macrumors regular

Depends on what you mean by "regular". You'll need a cross-over cable since you are directly connecting two PCs.

23. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

When using a Mac, you don't need a cross-over cable for direct machine-
    machine connection :).

24. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Exactly, but many DVD ISOs are over 4Gb, so keep this in mind! An external may not be the right choice.

25. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I know higher-end Macs will auto-correct if you use the wrong cable--which has been a lifesaver for me sometimes! Has that feature spread to all Macs?