Best Way To Upgrade to Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macusersoon, Oct 9, 2006.

1. macusersoon macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac so please excuse my simple questions.

I will be purchasing a used Mac from a relative very soon, it's a PowerMac G5 from 2004. I'll be getting a great deal as the person who currently owns it bought a new mac pro.

He has Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther installed but has removed all his key files etc .... from the MacIntosh Hard Drive. He'll be on vacation for a few months so this past weekend he helped me load a lot of video footage from my camcorder onto the second hard drive he installed on the computer. He said that I will be able to install Mac OS X Tiger on the Macintosh Hard Drive and whatever we loaded onto the second hard drive will not be lost and the files (footage) will be easily accessed once Tiger is installed.

Note that I don't mind doing a fresh install of Tiger because nothing on the hard drive is of use to me.

So for all you Mac experts:

1. Is what he said true?
    2. What is the best and cleanest way to install Tiger? (or should I do an upgrade)
    3. Any key things to keep in mind or things I shouldn't do?

Thanks for your help.

2. The General macrumors 601

1. Insert disc
    2. Follow the on-screen instructions

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Normally, I would totally agree, that a simple upgrade is the way to go. However, if I was buying a Mac second hand, I'd be tempted to start clean.

The install should not have any effect on the second hard drive, provided you make sure that you don't try to install OSX there. You could even unplug it first if you're worried.