Best ways to customize Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thenewguy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

I've noticed alot of my friends that have macs have all these crazy icons and have things on their desktops that don't move away when they use expose. their whole computers just look really cool.

what are the best ways to trick your macs out?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

All depends on what you like. Hence the customization

3. gollum macrumors regular

Resexcellence.com was the best but they changed ownership or something but should be back at some point. Barring that try:

unsanity.com
    http://interfacelift.com/

these should get you started!

4. thenewguy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks so much for the suggestions. The interfacelift site has a ton of awesome icons, thank you for pointing them out.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes when, using Candybar, I change an Icon...it doesn't change on the dock, even when it's relaunched. Even when I change the icon manually (using command-i and copying and pasting the icon) it sometimes doesn't work. For Word, for instance, no icon will paste in. And sometimes I know I changed it, but it just won't change on the dock.

any ideas?

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Did you buy CandyBar? If not you can change icons manually (copy the icon, select the app, hit cmd-i and paste the new icon on the old one)

6. thenewguy thread starter macrumors regular

changing them manually isn't always working for me. In particular for Microsoft Word and the Finder icon. When I copy an icon and then paste it in their info panel nothing happens. even when Word is closed it doesn't work. any ideas?

7. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I think if you drag it out and drag it back in, it will work. Sometimes the dock is a little weird when it comes to that.

8. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

This is sweet, I had no idea I could customize my Mac like this. Question, if I change my icons, how do I change them back should I decide to? I just don't want to mess with this unless I know how to undo it.

9. gollum macrumors regular

make a new (empty) folder and put the old icon on that, then store it in a safe place in your home folder.
    I have a folder named "Computer" in my documents folder that has a folder inside that called "GUI" were I keep all my customizing junk in.

For changing icons try this little program:
    http://www.filewell.com/micon/