Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iainmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Now we've got a more useful lockscreen, I'm wondering what recommendations people have to widgets.

I'm using native Weather (used to be Weather+ until this iOS 10 update), native Up Next (used to be Agenda+), Google Keep and UK Bus Checker.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
Well this isn't new to widgets but I don't think there is anything more useful than Launcher (Cromulent Labs). The thing I don't like is that you now have to swipe twice (down and right) to get to it. Widgets used to be one swipe away. iOS 10 has made using widgets less friendly.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Not a fan of widgets. That being said, I think Siri Suggestions and Phone Favourites could become my favourites.

ibergu

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I'm a big widget user (have 20+). I won't list them all, but here are some of my favorites:

News - Apple Widget
BeWeather - best weather widget in my opinion
ESPN - sports scores for your favorite teams
Fantastical - best calendar widget in my opinion
Widgetter - social media updates (twitter, etc.) and it's free
Google Maps - local transit
Slingplayer - if you have SlingTV, it lists now playing shows for your favorite channels
TVGuide - Trending Tonight
TeeVee - Tracks when your favorite TV shows will play
Amazon - Search, track shipments, etc.
Musixmatch - Music Lyrics as you listen
Seatgeek - Upcoming shows in your area
Itranslate - translate copy/pasted text
LoseIt! - Track calories
Stepz - Shows Steps/miles walked
Find Friends - Apple Widget
Top Chart - Free widget that lists top apps/music/movies, etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleChic76

iainmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
weather+ and agenda+ not work anymore?

Yes, I now prefer the stock Weather widget. It has more detail than the old one.

But I've now dumped the stock Calendar widget and am using Agenda+ again because it has more detail.

It feels like developers haven't really taken widgets seriously for the iPhone. Let's hope that now changes.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, I now prefer the stock Weather widget. It has more detail than the old one.

But I've now dumped the stock Calendar widget and am using Agenda+ again because it has more detail.

It feels like developers haven't really taken widgets seriously for the iPhone. Let's hope that now changes.

Widgets will for sure become a new focus for 3rd party devs. We're moving away from actually launching apps (or at least for most situations) and that's the whole intention of the new lock screen/widgets of iOS 10. It will just take time for everything to "catch up" and fully utilize this.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Widgets will for sure become a new focus for 3rd party devs. We're moving away from actually launching apps (or at least for most situations) and that's the whole intention of the new lock screen/widgets of iOS 10. It will just take time for everything to "catch up" and fully utilize this.

Can't find Musixmatch in the app store. Still available?

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Guys, on iOS 9, the UP next widget showed next alarm time. But no such thing on iOS 10. Any widgets out there to tell you your next alarm time from the stock clock?

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Guys, on iOS 9, the UP next widget showed next alarm time. But no such thing on iOS 10. Any widgets out there to tell you your next alarm time from the stock clock?
That's very strange. My alarms show up in the "Up Next" widget. It does seem to take a few hours sometimes, or even a day, till the next alarm. It is kinda inconsistent, but is expected in a beta.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
That's very strange. My alarms show up in the "Up Next" widget. It does seem to take a few hours sometimes, or even a day, till the next alarm. It is kinda inconsistent, but is expected in a beta.
Mine never has on iOS 10. Only the next calendar entry.

iainmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010

The widgets are still very flaky in iOS10 Public Beta. My Up Next showed the next alarm...now it's a completely blank...nothing...and off-on doesn't bring it back. It's happened with other widgets as well, they just fail to populate then start working again for no apparent reason.
I'm sure Apple is fully aware seeing as widgets are a major feature of the new OS but don't forget we can use the Public Beta Feedback app to report stuff. The more the merrier.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0278.PNG
    IMG_0278.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 480

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Yes calendar entries show for me as well. Here's that pic.
Thanks. Figured it out. I had to deselect my calendars that I displayed in the calendar app and re-enable them and now the alarm and more than one calendar entry show up in the widget!
But all day events don't show like birthdays!

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Thanks. Figured it out. I had to deselect my calendars that I displayed in the calendar app and re-enable them and now the alarm and more than one calendar entry show up in the widget!
But all day events don't show like birthdays!
I'm hoping all day events will make the cut for Up Next. They are there now for the calendar widget. It would only make sense for it to work for Up Next. Maybe first the next beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.