Best Windows IM Client

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tobefirst, Sep 26, 2006.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

didn't know where else to put this...

I'm looking for an IM client to recommend to some users on a website I run. The rules are:
    1. It must be free
    2. It must work with jabber
    3. Emphasis on ease of use

Easy, right? Which one's the best?

Oh...sorry...it should also work with AIM, yahoo, and MSN, too. :) Sorry...

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

3. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Since when did AIM work with Jabber? :p

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Oh, I missed that part. Heh, well I don't know. All Windows IM clients suck from what I've seen.

5. diego2k7 macrumors newbie

diego2k7

Trillian is a good option. Not sure if jabber support is available in the free version tho.

6. waremaster macrumors 6502

I will second Trillian.

7. htdefiant macrumors member

Meebo.com is a good website for web-based IM's with MSN, GTalk, Jabber, AIM, and Yahoo. I suggest making a Meebo account so you can sign in wiht all your screennames at meebo.

8. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Haha...thanks. :) I LOVE meebo. What I'm actually looking for is a desktop app that will work with the meebome widget. :) That's what I'm looking for, as I do the same now with adium. Ironic that you would suggest it. :)

that's nice, except it doesn't satisfy either the free or the jabber requirement, depending on whether you're talking about the basic or pro version.

vniow, is gaim really that good? what's it like?

9. vniow macrumors G4

I wouldn't use anything else. Its free, open-source, no ads, simple but easily configurable and suppors almost every protocol out there. It looks like a no-frills app but its got a lot underneath.

10. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Seconded, thirded, or whatever'd the Gaim mention. I'm a pretty big fan of Gaim -- it's a consistent UI across almost any platform, be it Linux, be it Windows or be it OS X.

To give perspective of Gaim; Adium is based off Gaim's library. So any and all client limitations of Adium are usually due to the Gaim library. That said, in terms of UI the two have nearly nothing in common. In a nutshell, think of Adium as a Aqua front end to Gaim -- though I don't think Adium supports all the protocols/features that Gaim does.

11. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Both my friend and I have had major problems with GAIM. It keeps telling us that we are over the "rate limit".

As a long time AIM user, normal (old version) AIM + DeadAIM is the best bet.

12. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Sounds good to me. Thanks!

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Trillian (free version) is what I use. It just works. Assume it supports Jabber.

GAIM I tried because I'm a fan of Adium, but it crashes when I try to connect to my MSN account (100% reproducible).

Miranda IM I've seen nice skins for, but as it turns out it doesn't actually have support for any, to do it you have to do some messy things and it just didn't sound fun.

14. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Stop assuming. :)

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It's what Adium's based off, so there must be some good code somewhere in there, but it doesn't show it off all too well. Little things like crashing the instant you log into MSN :mad: Personally, I use meebo.com (how crap is that - the entire lot beaten to a pulp by summat in my pre-windows-post-mac times deemed as an "if I must")