Best wireless ADSL router for AOL (UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smwatson, Jun 29, 2006.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I have (unfortunately) been with AOL (uk) as my ISP for the past 3 years, and with purchasing an iMac G5 some months ago, i now need to round to getting myself an ADSL wireless router (my iMac is upstairs, no way of getting wires all the way there). I currently have the BT modem that came with AOL Broadband, and would prefer a modem/router combination.

However, i've heard that sharing an AOL connection with multiple computers can be rather tricky. So basically i wanted to know if people had any personal experience and could recommend a solid wireless router? Iv had my eye on some Netgear and Linksys stuff, just wanted to know if it is possible to use them with AOL?

And also, will i have to install the AOL software on my iMac? Or is it possible to simply plug in the router, turn it on, and be on the internet?

2. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hi There!
    Welcome to the 'Confused Club'.
    I have just bought a Thomson Speedtouch 585 wireless router (troubles posted in this thread) and, now that it is up and running (sort of), I THINK that I can recommend it. I bought it as a result of recommendations from Macrumors.
    It is very sophisticated, does all sorts of stuff that I don't even begin to understand and is relatively cheap. You can get it from here.
    The remaining problem that I am having with it is configuring everything for the security aspects - WEP, WAP or whatever, and having my machines recognised and able to access with the security settings. :(
    I don't think that the AOL business complicates anything. Although my supplier is BT.