Best wireless card for my lombard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macg4, Sep 3, 2006.

1. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

whats the best wireless card to buy for my lombard im getting soon? should i go with the lucent/orinico\ gold, silver, wavelan, or what??? also do these cards work under osx and classic?do they work with the apple software? what have u guys had good luck with? where to get drivers for them? i found one driver side. http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/faq.html#supported

2. macg4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macg4

3. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

I would recommend the Lucent Orinoco cards. They work with just about anything. OS 9 will see it as an Airport but OS X will not. There is an open source driver for these cards for OS X and a commercial driver. The commercial driver works better but you have to pay for it. There is a work around which I think is legal - you only get half an hour of use but if you eject the card and reinsert you get another half an hour. You should power off the card first but otherwise that driver works really well. If you use it alot pay for it or use the opensource. Hope this helps.

4. macg4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macg4

where can u get the drivers u have to pay for at?

5. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

6. macg4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macg4

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's a little more pricey, but I might as well mention Sonnet's Aria Extreme:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/aria_extreme.html

If you shop around, you can find it for under $60 shipped, and it uses the OS's built-in drivers, so it works exactly like an Airport Extreme card. It has the disadvantage of being external, but if you weren't using your Cardbus slot for anything, it's not a big deal.

I've used these in both Lombard G3s and Ti G4 PBs, and they work absolutely perfectly.

At least to me, worth it to save the hassle of using additional drivers, plus you get b or g speeds, and it'll do WPA (and I suppose even WPA2, if your OS is new enough).

8. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Sonnet

I've been using this one on a Pismo running Tiger with no problems. It's been a few months, but I don't recall any trouble getting it up and running, and no down time since.

9. California macrumors 68040

California

Belkin wireless G on a Lombard 333?

I've got a new Belkin G notebook card working great and fast on an old Tibook right now.

Playing around with getting a Lombard 333mhz. Not really into those old machines but this one is on the radar.

Is there any reason I can't stuff 1 gig of ram on a Lombard and make it run Tiger and use this Belkin external wireless card on it?