Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Looking for a wireless two-button mouse - any suggestions? Right now I'm using a Microsoft Optical USB mouse, which I like, but I'd love to get rid of the wires.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Not a 2 button mouse, however the Apple Wireless Mouse is a battery drain machine.

The Apple Wireless Keyboard, uses its battery very efficiently.

Apple Engineers, get your act together with the Wireless Mouse.

It eats through rechargeable and standard batteries. And I use it in battery saver more too. :( :p

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
i'm really interested to see if any people like a 3rd party Bluetooth wireless mouse. (I need a right button and scroll wheel.)

I've never used a wireless mouse that I thought was as precise (as far as pointer movement and quick responsiveness) as a USB mouse. I guess it could be my imagination. Anyone else experience the same thing?

lfielder06

Dec 5, 2004
I just purchased the mx900. It is great, but you have to use a mouse pad to get good tracking. At first I was pissed because it didn't do as well as I was hoping, but I went to target and got a mouse pad and now it works perfectly. Battery life seems really great too. I have had it for about a 5 days and only charged it once. I got it because I already had Nimh batteries and this can charge them, so battery usage is not a problem. It syncs up with expose and dashboard very easily. It is also bluetooth so you don't need an external dongle or anything if you have BT built in. If you don't have it built in, it also comes with a bluetooth hub that can be hooked up to USB to charge and connect or you can just plug the power cord in to just charge it. (another reason I liked it) If I had one complaint it would be that it is a little heavy and large. I have big hands so I like the size, but it is quite hefty for a mouse.

If you don't want a BT mouse then I say go for the mx1000 or mx700.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
I've tried a few wireless mice including Apple's and I got tired of changing the batteries. Went to check out the mighty mouse last week and asked the salesman why they didn't make it wireless. He just chuckled and said it's coming. Don't know what he meant but maybe in Paris.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I prefer Kensington mice to Logitech, but it is more out of personal preference than functionality.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
dubbz said:
I'm quite partial to the MX1000. Quite possibly the best mouse (wireless or otherwise) I've used so far.

I'll second this vote for the Logitech MX1000...it is by FAR the best mouse I have ever used. Comfortable, VERY PRECISE, great battery, looks great...its just GREAT!

Also, the Logitech V500 is an awesome portable mouse if you ever need one!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i got the apple wireless mouse and keyboard.... no complaints here...
battery life is amazing, i've been using the same batteries for the mouse since may plus i never turn off the mouse

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I enjoyed both the MX700 and MX1000. Although the MX1000 is in a different league to the MX700. The MX900 would be good for blue tooth but the MX700 and MX900 can have problems charging after a while.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
mx1000

I just bought the Logitech MX1000 and let me tell you, it is AMAZING...I also have the Mx510 and use that for gaming cause it has a little better dpi, but I have still yet to try the mx1000 for gaming. But as an everyday mouse for PS and many other progs it is AMAZING...i highly recomend it

edit: so the mx510 has the same dpi as the mx1000 so that means i have a backup now!! :D

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I have had my MX1000 mouse for almost 2 and a half months now and the thing is amazing. I have charged it twice but that is only because it didn't come fully charged and needed to go through one cycle, and on this second charge cycle it has lasted well over 3 weeks and still has 2 out of 3 lights. Plus the accuracy of the thing is amazing it works on my carpet!! Also works great on my wooden task, on the palm rest of my Pb, on paper, on a mousepad, on my jeans, the laser it truly amazing.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
maya said:
Not a 2 button mouse, however the Apple Wireless Mouse is a battery drain machine.

The Apple Wireless Keyboard, uses its battery very efficiently.

Apple Engineers, get your act together with the Wireless Mouse.

It eats through rechargeable and standard batteries. And I use it in battery saver more too. :( :p
Well, it's an optical mouse. It has to constantly shine a light for tracking while in use. This is going to drain batteries more than a keyboard. The keyboard only has that little caps lock light that probably isn't on most of the time - unless you like to type like a 12 yr old... "OMG, WTF LOL!!111" ;)

I though the Apple Wireless Mouse did pretty well on two AA batteries. It keeps its charge far longer than my MS Optical Bluetooth mouse, which also uses 2xAA.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Anything Logtiech. I had M$ and it just feels soft. I had Kenningston and the software just doesn't mesh with OS X and photoshop. So, Id go with anything that fits your needs made from Logitech, they just seem to have better software tracking, speed scrolling, etc.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
g4cubed said:
I've tried a few wireless mice including Apple's and I got tired of changing the batteries. Went to check out the mighty mouse last week and asked the salesman why they didn't make it wireless. He just chuckled and said it's coming. Don't know what he meant but maybe in Paris.

The salesman knows as much for sure as we do, which is nothing.

BTW, I agree on sucky battery life on the Apple BT mouse. Keyboard gets 6 mos. at least, whereas mouse goes within two. Can't be an inherent problem--must be some firmware they could use. Does the LED burn that much juice?

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
Another vote for the Mx1000. Best mouse I've ever used. According to Logitech's site, the battery lasts 21 days. I've already used it enough to wear the logitech logo off of the back. Say away from the kensington studio mouse. It had horrible tracking, battery life, and made a really annoying beeping noise when you used it. Also you have to press really hard to click and usually you have to click 3 times to register a double click. Thats only a 66% accuracy rate for clicking!! This thing isn't useful for anything but trebuchet ammo, which it was used for after I got my Mx1000. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.