1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Best Wireless-N usb adapter for iBook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Apr 29, 2013.

1. macrumors 68010

RedCroissant

Hello all, my iBook G4(1.33GHz 1.5GB RAM) is having trouble maintaining an internet connection an has just disconnected today at least 15 times. I checked my router and modem and all is fine there(plus, my other machines did not lose their connections).

What is the best usb bus-powered wireless-n adapter that is compatible with my iBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8? I saw one from WC that I liked but kind of need it today since it's the end of the semester(and the end of my undergrad work) and a connection is absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance for any advice!

And yes, I have thought about getting a new airport card, but why pay the same price for b/g when I could get n; or am I completely wrong about my iBook's capabilities?

2. macrumors newbie

3. AppleMacFinder, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Recently my friend asked me to do a research,
    what is the least expensive Wi-Fi 802.11n adapter with the following features:
    * Support for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies
    * At least 300 Mbps max bandwidth
    * Ability to host the WiFi network
    Because he needed it as soon as possible, Chinese no-branded adapters were out of question.
    Eventually, we chose TP-Link TL-WDN3200, it has all these features and costed about $20.
    Turned out it was excellent decision! :)

------------------------------------------------------------
    About compatibility of TL-WDN3200 with Mac OS X:
    it gets detected in USB devices as "802.11 n WLAN"

Code:
    [B]802.11 n WLAN:[/B]
      Product ID:	0x5572
      Vendor ID:	0x148f
      Version:	 1.01
      Serial Number:	1.0
      Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
      Manufacturer:	Ralink
      Location ID:	0xfa130000 / 7
      Current Available (mA):	500
      Current Required (mA):	450

However, I have no clue about how to disable my built-in Airport Extreme adapter
    and enable TL-WDN3200 instead, and use TL-WDN3200 for connecting WiFi networks.
    If you know it and would like me to do additional tests, please reply to this post.

4. macrumors 68010

RedCroissant

Well, I actually went to Best Buy today and instead of buying a wifi adapter(like I planned) I went with a Netgear Powerline 100 adapter. So now I am extending the Internet access through the wall outlet. Even though it's not wifi and I am tethered to my desk, I a enjoying the now very stable connection.

5. macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I like those little 150mbit/sec 802.11n USB 2.0 nubs that are usually realtek/ralink based, they're on ebay for a couple of dollars brand new and they're less than a centimeter in length. For a few more dollars you get a slightly bigger one with a six inch antenna.

6. macrumors newbie

TL-WDN3200 USB wireless adapter for Mac OS

Hi all,

Just to share: for those who are trying to install the driver for TP-Link's TL-WDN3200 USB wireless adapter for Mac OS, you can find it here:
    http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=502

Choose to download the one that says: USB(RT2870/RT2770/RT3X7X/RT537X).

Open that up, install it;
    Then open your "System Preferences"->"Network";
    It should then automatically detect the new network connection.
    Done.

Got this to work on my Macbook Pro running on 10.6.8.
    Cheers!:)