Best word processor for Mac OS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skaertus, May 26, 2012.

?

Which is your favorite word processor for Mac OS?

1. Microsoft Office Word

138 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Apple Pages

140 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Nisus Writer Express

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  4. Nisus Writer Pro

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Mellel

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Mariner Writer

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  7. OpenOffice.org Writer

8 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. LibreOffice Writer

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. Scrivener

26 vote(s)
    7.6%
  10. Bean

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. macrumors 68030

skaertus

I've created this poll so you can vote on your favorite word processor for Mac OS. I've only included software which allows advanced formatting of documents (simple writing software, script writing and outliners were not included).

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

3. macrumors 604

The question is not practical unless you state what you plan to use it for. "Best" word processor for one user is not the best for another.

4. macrumors 601

ixodes

For work I don't need to share across platforms, I like Pages. Been using it since Apple first released it and it's one of my favorites.

For other times when I'm working across OS X, Windows & Linux I like OpenOffice.

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, it is true. However, one word processor may fit the needs of more people than others. If sharing documents is needed, Microsoft Word may be the best choice, for instance.

6. macrumors newbie

Office for mac was fine but more expensive than iwork so I deleted my office trial and downloaded pages.
    Office: 120 bucks ( includes excel, powerpoint and outlook)
    Pages: 20 bucks and works fine

7. macrumors 65816

monokakata

I switch constantly between Scrivener and Word.

They are very different -- Scrivener does things I need to do better than Word ever could, but I'd never use it to write a letter, for example.

I don't really think that Scrivener belongs on your list. It's too special-purpose (but absolutely dynamite for its purpose . . . I couldn't write without it).

8. macrumors regular

Scrivener (my vote as it's my most used) for academic and creative writing projects. iA Writer for distraction free writing spurts. And Pages for miscellaneous writing.

9. thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Scrivener seems to be a rather popular word processor. It is very good indeed.

10. macrumors 603

NeoOffice isn't mentioned. After Pages it's my 2nd favourite word mangler.

11. thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

And although Apple doesn't release a new version of Pages in 3 years, it is still the preferred word processor in this thread!

12. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

MS Word I think is the best for OSX, I've used Pages but I find Word to be more feature rich and a better app.

13. thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, Word has more features than Pages. And is fully compatible with Word for Windows, which is also a plus. But it is sluggish compared to Pages (and to Word for Windows).

----------

I completely forgot about NeoOffice! Sorry...

14. thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Pages is still the favorite one so far. But Microsoft Word is catching up...

15. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Pages got my vote. It's just so clean looking and easy to write with. My resume and cover letter look fantastic and when you are looking at a simple screen, the words fly out. Can't stand MS Word.

16. macrumors member

Best "word processor": a LaTeX system!

If you want to concentrate in the first instance upon writing and organization, not how things will look, nothing beats a (La)TeX system. You use mark-up when writing. Then when you process the source with the TeX system, you get gorgeous output. And you can have considerable control over appearance. Ultimate output can be, in among other forms, PDF.

For scientific writing and publishing, nothing can (La)TeX for typesetting formulas correctly. But the range of document types for which LaTeX produces excellent results is much wider than that, including, e.g., parallel-columns with two languages, including many non-European ones.

You can get such a system for free: see http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/.

(Note: the 2012 release is just a few weeks away.)

17. macrumors 6502

Pages, for an MS Word-style alternative.
    But for creative writing, especially a first draft, Ulysses. Nothing but what you need.

18. macrumors 6502

LaTeX is a typesetting-system which I love to use, but I do not consider it a word processor in that sense. However, it works great for making scientific reports and professional-looking papers.

19. macrumors member

My most used app right now is Scrivener, by far. It's very unique in its field of application, but (and this isn't a bad but at all) I use Pages for everything that requires formatting and/or doesn't have a structure.

20. thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Pages is by far the most popular word processor here, and Microsoft Word is second. Scrivener also seems to be very popular. But nobody seems to use Nisus Writer, which I thought was an excellent word processor...

21. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I voted for word just because it's the one I use the most. If I don't have to share it with anyone I like pages a bit better, but pages doesn't work well for sharing documents with people who don't have it.

22. macrumors newbie

Word for a lot but latex for math and science.

23. thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Does somebody use Nisus? How's Microsoft Word compatibility?

24. macrumors 6502a

It would be better to have multiple options.

For power use, academic use, Hebrew, plus multiple independent footnote/endote streams, Autotitles, superior styles, nothing compares to Mellel. My first choice.

But I also use Nisus Writer Pro for many projects not requiring the above capabilities. And Scrivener for editing a magazine. And I keep LibreOffice for cross platform exchanges. Not ideal, but I do not have MS Office, so I need something that gets close.

25. thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

I've given up LaTeX a long ago. I couldn't get through its learning curve, although I agree it may be useful for maths. But I'm a lawyer, so...