Best Word Processor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yvovandoorn, May 16, 2005.

1. yvovandoorn macrumors regular

You know what I'd love to see. I'd love to see a professional reviewer review the various word processing applications available for Mac.

I have tried to use Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive but Word is just insanely slow (coming from Windows). It seems to lag behind and it just doesn't have that snappy effect that is has on Windows. I have tried Pages but I really don't like it all too much, its too simple in my basic concept for a word processor.

What others are available. The important thing to me is that it has some sort of menu Word did on the side with all the styles, fonts, sizes, etc. Plus that it is fast and not slow like Word. I don't mind spending $40-$50 as long as it includes some sort of trial. Another important thing is DOC format compatibility. Most of the world

So fellow Mac users... what is your word processor of choice?

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I use Word, but I do two things to make it snappier (I've noticed, too, that it's a dog sometimes):

Make sure my cpu is set to maximum, and not automatic.

Turn off live word count. This feature, when enabled, slows down Word considerably.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i use Word myself, but there are plenty of alternatives out there, Neo Office, Abi Word, Text Edit (for Basics), etc

this has been disscussed many many times so seach the forums for even more suggestions and go to some place like macaddict or macworld and find their reviews of the apps if you want a 'professional' talke on 'em

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Also, turn ON text smoothing. This makes a big difference!

5. Apmonia macrumors regular

Nisus Writer Express. www.nisus.com
    It is much faster than Word and has the menu on the side. I think I paid $60 or so for it, but there is a trial version available.
    Apmonia

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

I'll second both Nisus Writer Express and Mellel. They are great apps.

I personally use TextEdit for just about everything. With a handful of additions it becomes a pretty full featured word processor. Some additions I've made include:Also learning what Mac OS X's Text Services offer would help you get the most out of TextEdit (and Nisus Writer Express for that matter).