Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Back in 2015, I bought two MBPs which gave me the eltePlus status so that would give me ElitePlus for all of 2016. In 2016, I spent about $800 at BestBuy so that should mean I am no longer ElitePlus till I spend $3500 this year which I don't plan on doing and probably never will.

Now that it is 2017, I am still listed as being EltePlus. Does anyone know why? I did get a BB Rewards Visa card this year.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you purchased more than $3500 at BestBuy in a calendar year, you are upgraded to Elite Plus. That level continues through the following calendar year. If you don't make $3500 in purchases during calendar year following, then your status as Elite Plus expires at the end of February of the third year.

Got that info at this link...

So, you have another month before "reversion"

Reactions: willmtaylor

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So what is the benefit of BBEP? With big items like TVs and Computers you can break even, but most of their assessories are full retail pricing which can easily be bettered online. Years ago I needed component cables for my TV. Best Buy= $75. Amazon= Approx $20. Ever since then, I cross check prices before making any purchases there.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Looks like the "benefit" is (slightly) faster accumulation of reward or bonus points.
BB probably lets you see (but not actually use) the employee break room
(I made up that last part, but sounds good, don't it?)

The main reason that I go to a Bestbuy is location. I can walk to BB from my house in about 20 minutes, but that's probably more effort than I would expend for Bestbuy, let alone purchase total of more than $3500 within a year.
Amazon gets much more from me than BestBuy _ever_ will. :D
I rarely buy anything at bestbuy, maybe close to 100 bucks a year, and purely for convenience.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks like the "benefit" is (slightly) faster accumulation of reward or bonus points.
BB probably lets you see (but not actually use) the employee break room
(I made up that last part, but sounds good, don't it?)

The main reason that I go to a Bestbuy is location. I can walk to BB from my house in about 20 minutes, but that's probably more effort than I would expend for Bestbuy, let alone purchase total of more than $3500 within a year.
Amazon gets much more from me than BestBuy _ever_ will. :D
I rarely buy anything at bestbuy, maybe close to 100 bucks a year, and purely for convenience.

Accrual of bonus points does not overcome negative price differentials imo. If you need it today or it has a competitive price, then by all means. Online even for them is a godsend to verify local availability. :)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I've gone to BB to buy an external drive before that I saw for a certain price advertised on the website. Got to the store and the price was about $50 higher. I'd like to think it was just a mistake on the store pricing but I doubt it. This was several years ago.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I stopped going to Best Buy when they asked me if I wanted to buy an extended protection plan for $2.49 when buying an $8 item. That was like 10 years ago. I will admit to snagging an Airport Extreme refurb off their website for $80 a few months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.