beta macs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by firewire2001, Jun 11, 2002.

1. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

my dad often has told me about the older macs from his days back in college... i was wondering, tho, has apple done any sort of "private" public releases of beta stuff --

my dad had a good friend back at stanford that worked for apple as a sales rep or something like that and he had asked my father (haveing a biotech major) if he wanted to test a new apple or mac (i dont rememember now..).. so anyways, he didnt get the mac cause his friend was laid off from apple because it was some of the harder years for apple... but like i said, has apple ever released hardware to small groups of people for testing?

i remember that moby video that mustve been filmed before the real powerbook came out :p ...

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: beta macs

from what I understand, they seed hardware to developers and testers pretty routinely, with very strict NDA agreements. They also do a lot of in house only testing for designs they would rather keep absolutely secret.

3. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

a few months ago a friend at a newspaper/publishing company hinted to me that apple had some really cool new servers to test... they supposedly were given a server that ran both windows & mac os x (it "had" 2 processors - an x86 and a ppc... but i'm not really believing the story anymore)

i wish apple would send me stuff to beta test :)

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah. You, me, and the rest of MacRumors. :D

But whatever happened to the good ol' day when they'd actually label it "PowerMacintosh XYZ" or something mysterious. Is that still going on? Or is that a lost Apple practice.

5. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

if they do still use a funny naming scheme their ninja swat team is keeping them secret... not much has been slipping past apple legal's non-disclosure agreements lately--what a travesty :D

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Yea, that sounds like a load of crap to me too.