1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Bets on release date of new powerbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by beefstu01, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. macrumors member

    #1
    Well, it's 7:00 PM here, and after my third beer (I had a barbecue for dinner, so Carlsberg is called for), I believe I am set to call when the next revision is coming.

    And it will be tomorrow.

    Yes, now there's one little thing that made me to say this. I've been frequenting the Apple store a lot lately. A whole friggin lot, actually, and right now I just noticed a difference. It used to be setup like this-

    [Shameless ad]

    [eMac/iMac][PowerMac/Display]
    [iBook][PowerBook]

    Now it's-

    [Shameless ad]

    [iBook][PowerBook]
    [eMac/iMac][PowerMac/Display]

    For those of you who are nearing the buzzed state like I am, that shows the portables are placed above the desktop machines. Apple might want to do a quick redesign of the store, so they quietly switched the photos right now, and tomorrow the beasts will be unleashed. It's a small change, and probably won't be picked up by a lot of people, but hey, discuss it to your hearts content. It makes sense to me at least...

    So, when do you guys think we'll see stuff?
     
  2. macrumors 601

    cb911

    #2
    well, i'm hoping for Friday. if it's not then, i'm going to seriously start looking for a 17" PowerBook for a good price.
     
  3. macrumors 6502a

    kwajo.com

    #3
    i will hold Thinkseceret to their claim, and agree that they will be out by the end of the week. At least that is what I am hoping. I have a 15" on order currently; according to apple, it is set to be assembled between the 21st and the 25th. When I talked to the sales guy, he said that if there is an update announced before then, I will automatically be shipped the new revision, unless it is a mojor change (I think this might qualify ;) ), at which point they will contact me; usually because there would be a price change. As you can imagine, I hope that they are announced before my shipment, so I can be one of the first to receive a shiny new "This-One-Fits-Just-Right" AlBook.
     
  4. macrumors member

    #4
    *puts 2 pennies , a bottle cap and some string on the table*

    Well thats all I have to bet. Really I don't care when they update them, just that they update them before Christmas.
     
  5. macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    #5
    Since everybody is expecting the 7457 to be in the new machines...

    I'll go with the 7455 r3.4

    ---

    My bet is Motorola will dissapoint everybody once again.

    [edit - forgot, I'm betting one of the imaginary buzzards feasting on the corpses of Motorola's delivery dates.] ;)
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    #6
    Although the last thing I want to see is an update just over a month after buying a TiBook, I think updates will come this week, or next Tuesday at the latest. Far too many coincidences (PBs running low at stores, Motorola's own information, lots of rumors sites) to rule out an impending update.

    I say 15.4" Alubook with 1.25 or 1.3 Ghz 7457
    DDR Ram
    AP Extreme
    New video card
    Faster FSB
     
  7. macrumors 68000

    Freg3000

    #7
    If you really want to bet....

    Fly On The Mac

    I have no affiliation with that site and I plug it so much it is scary. :)
     
  8. macrumors member

    #8
    Next month G5 is taking the spot light right now.
     
  9. macrumors newbie

    #9
    I think they'll be out for sure by the end of next week (i.e. the end of August). 12" PB are currently 7-10 days with 15" PB 5-7 and 17" PB same day. I know it has to be coming. Apple would be stupid to wait till their September expo. They need to release them all at the same time for those hanging on for college/school.
     
  10. mim
    macrumors 6502

    #10
    After your "joking" yesterday I checked out the motorola site - and yes there is a new MPC7455 part due for release and no mention of the 7457.

    I'm inclined to agree.

    Let the fragging begin.
     
  11. macrumors member

    #11
    All bets are off regarding the 15" PB this year.

    If it's a 7455 I will personally lead the rampage on Moto HQ. Bugsy claims the most scalps.

    I know this is a little far fetched, but the longer we wait, the more likely a G5 PB is...

    Tired of waiting,

    Grizzly
     
  12. macrumors 6502a

    DreaminDirector

    #12
    I'm betting next month. September 30. Why you ask? Because it's the last possible Tuesday in next month.

    Not really using the scientific method or anything, just trying to think like Apple...
     
  13. macrumors 68020

    #13
    Also note the other thread on updates to the iMac - the specs shown are clearly those of a 7455.

    Does that mean that PBs may have to wait another 10 months for the 7457 and then another 10 months beyond that for the G5?

    Apple is putting meaning into the phrase "glacial update cycle".
     
  14. macrumors 65816

    cwedl

    #14
    Well it looks as if you are wrong unless they upgrade the powerbooks later on today.

    Knowing what steve is like, Ti -> al 15" powerbook is like a new product. He may wait until a keynote, I.E september 16th or in January. (Going on the G2 -> G3 iPods)

    I think the 12" and 17" powerbooks will be upgraded quickly and quietly just like the ibooks.
     

Share This Page