Better colors for Aqua

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Mar 20, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i've been thinking for some time it might be cool to have a new color theme in OS X. i was thinking of dark purple, or maybe blue.
    i have some mock-ups. what you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

here is the other one

Attached Files:

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I like the idea maybe even a good shade of green or gasp...orange. I love giving the system a personal touch but hate to use 3rd party programs....color schemes like that would be a nice touch.

4. vniow macrumors G4

The dark blue is kinda nice, although I don't care too much for the purple, it doesn't seem to match the rest of Aqua.

How about a dark blue combined with a bit of graphite?

5. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i was thinking that aqua would change--be consistent. so all the buttons would be purple in the purple theme, and all the buttons and otherwise widgets would be accordingly blue in the blue theme. i don't see how it doesn't go with the "rest of aqua," as i am saying we would change aqua altogether. if it isn't that white clearish color or halftoned BG, it'd be changing ;)

oh well. something to hopelessly hope for in 10.3

6. vniow macrumors G4

Consistency is something that's definately needed, I don't want to install a third party haxie to get rid of brushed metal on some apps ( I think it's cheezy looking) I would much rather have it in the OS, fully supported by Apple.

One think I like about Linux for example is the color customization.
    It's pretty limited in the options and difficult to configure from what I've experienced but it's nice having it there anywayz and not a haxie of some sorts.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Some nice iMac colours would be nice...anything but just blue and graphite.

8. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

of course i would prefer something native, but i am generally OK with a 3rd party themer, as long as it's proven rock solid stable.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

3rd party hacks are nice, but can easily cause problems...

the dark blue looks good.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Why think small? Let's have a continuously changing color scheme, like the continuously changing desktop option, only with colors. :)

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

As long as apple does it because haxies = some random crashs that the dev. blames on you.
    My personal Exp.

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

that would be cool I have one image with different colors rotating thru the desktop.

13. iGav macrumors G3

I've always quite liked the idea of OSX going for the ice'd look, kinda like the main page at Apple.com....

I also think Apple should drop the line stuff... it makes it look alittle messy IMHO.....

Clean and minimal that's me!! ;)

14. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

the "iced" look at apple.com main page is "graphite," basically. a lot of the buttons in graphite have that iced look to them. i would hate to have them drop the lines, i think they are really stylish and clean. you can't do pure white BGs because that's just nasty, and gray only is even worse.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Haxies use undocumented system calls to work. These system calls may move around as the operating system changes. If you go in after something has moved, you may end up executing something that you don't want.

If Apple would provide a standard way to do a theme, it would be much better, but Steve Jobs doesn't like giving up control. (That's an understatement!)

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Who's that other multi-zillionaire owner of a software company that doesn't like giving up control over his OS? :eek: :p

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Want to understand the subject. So is it true that in Mac OS X you can't change the Appearance like in Mac OS 9. I would miss that option! Using plum for highlight & crimson for varation!

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yeah, dark blue looks good. Purple....... it just doesn't look so good. ;)

Maybe we will see some changes in 10.3. As long as they are
    changes for the better I don't mind.

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you can choose between graphite (grey) to aqua (blue). and you can choose the highlight color

see below

Attached Files:

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes I'm in favor of a greater selection. Would like to see shades of purple, blue, and red. Wonder why they didn't continue with the same color schemes as in Mac OS 9?

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think a dark red 'ruby' color would be great. Like the ruby classic iMacs.

22. iGav macrumors G3

Nah... the homepage (menu bar) is more ice, graphite is much much darker, look at your Apple on your menu bar in graphite, or the hot news headline on the homepage, compare the 2..... the light one looks much better IMHO, the Apple logo on the disc packs you get with some Mac's, which is a real ice look...... I love that clean look..... I don't need lines and stuff.....

They should make an ice setting, lighter than the graphite, more clear and reflective.....

I can't imagine anything worse though than going back to the kiddy coloured eye candy from the original iMacs.... *Eww* :p

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

did you create these mockups yourself?

how does someone actually do that? just a bunch of photoshop work or what? i don't have much interest in spending time on that myself, just curious how people do it.

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was wondering the same thing.

Does it take a long time?

25. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

we're already there, man. have you looked at "blue" lately? it's bright and vibrant--it's not "kiddy coloured" by any means, but neither are the mockups i made.

jello–yeah, i photoshopped them in ~10 minutes. all you do is highlight the areas you want to adjust, and then change their color balance. i couldn't do it all at once though, because i had to adjust the contrast on the buttons because the bright glow was going to pure white and looking all tacky.

on another note, i may try to make one of these themes after that duality 4 GT thing comes out this week--i've worked with windows XP themes, so maybe i can figure something out. i'll probably just do the blue, because the purple's probably considerably more difficult to do (i imagine i'd have to change some actual settings, like the "glow" around selected items, and so on, as opposed to just graphics.