Better gaming in war3 if...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Omad0n, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

possibly you started the computer up in terminal mode and then launched War3 from there? I don't know if this can even be done, or if yo ucould do it, if it'd be useful. Just thought I'd ask. Anyone know?

2. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

now forgive my ignorence but why exactly would you want to do that? to use up less cpu on other things.. ?

3. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I guess it would eliminate any Aqua overhead, but is it really worth it? I dont know if War3 will even run in that mode.

4. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it would be to avoid aqua. And the point would be to free up processor power, along with soem RAM that may get stuck using the GUI. Again I don't know if this would work, or if it'd even be worth it, just curious.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Well try it:
    Log out, and when prompted for your name and password to log in, type: ">console" (no password).
    Now you will see non-Aqua Mac OS X (Darwin). Type your name and password.
    Go to the Applications directory: "cd /Applications"
    Then to your game dir: "cd <game_dir>"
    Then type: "open -a <game.app>"....

... After about 30 secs an error will be promted. These "Aqua" apps, kinda need Aqua I'm afraid. It's not like the Finder in Mac OS 9, which should be stopped when running a 3d game.
    Aqua is sort of an Xwindows-server on Darwin. Like KDE on Linux. You need it to run graphical apps, or you need X11 for those type of Xwindows based apps (OpenOffice).

6. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the great reply man. Not only did yo uanswer my question, but you gave a good reason. that even a non-expert like me, could understand.