Better Graphics; PS3 or XBOX 360?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bussta, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Bussta macrumors newbie

This might be the most asked question in the world, but what do people honestly think without reeling off the hardware stats, which console will have the edge in graphics. Xbox turned out to have smoother graphics than the PS2, so do you tthink Xbox will continue it's reign in that department or will Sony come out on top.

A good example of the current gen was the GTA series, the Xbox versions were graphically superior to the PS2 ones, so will this continue or will they be almost identical?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

On Paper that last gen went
    xBox
    GameCube
    PS2
    DreamCast

This gen
    PS3
    xBox 360
    Wii

Now if software for each system will use all its power, its yet to be knowen

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Currently, we have no idea. I'm thinking most games will be very close in graphical power - as in, you couldn't tell no matter what system (I'm referring to the PS3 and X360, of course) you were using.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

It's almost going to be impossible to tell. If a game is made for both systems, it will look pretty much identical and maybe only have a few changes that accomidate for the extra features of each system (i.e., Live for XBox or the controller of the PS3), graphics wise they will look the same.

Any exclusive games each system have can't be compared because they will be......exclusive. Sure, people might be like "look at the lighting affects" of this particular exclusive game, but you wouldn't know if this is better than the other system because it doesn't have the game.

If you're trying to decide which system to buy, I would look at which one has the exclusive games you want to play the most. If you want to play Halo 3, you're going to need an XBox 360, same goes for PS3 games. Any other games should be very similar.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, almost impossible to tell. PS3 though can output a 1080p signal, which is the super don of commercial HD.

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

Only in HD resolutions. I say this because the whole debate is more or less useless for SD/ED (480p) resolutions which all 3 systems have more than enough power for. If you don't have a HD set, then most everything will balance out graphics-wise (as long as the textures aren't crap).

If everything were finalized, on paper, the PS3 would have the highest theoretical resolution at 1080p. But in reality, the previous poster's are right that there will be no discernable difference (at 720p or 1080i) between cross-platform PS3 and 360 games.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:rolleyes: Actually the 360 GPU is superior to the PS3's GPU on paper, but CPU is slightly superior on the PS3 than the 360

So graphically technically the 360, though with optimisations carried into the CPU for the PS3 it could nudge it.

Though in reality, what you will find is there will be NO discernible difference between the 360 & PS3 graphics wise.

1080p is NOT a mandatory output from the PS3, only a few games will ever output that high (like GT4:Vision ~ as it's basically a ps2 game which already supported 1080i) - 95% of games will lockdown 720p/1080i in order to maximise framerate.

Remember one upon a time Sony telling us the PS3 will have two 1080p hdmi screen outputs : bless :rolleyes:

8. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

there's a point where graphics are going to get so good no one will be able to tell which is better =/

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

its true, and we are almost there, on a basic TV, most people won't see a huge difference from the Wii, 360 and PS3..on an HD TV, the Wii will lose ground

10. mkaake macrumors 65816

I'd agree with the last few posts... in SD, they'll all look pretty good.

As for HD?

Well, I've never bought into the specs game, so I'd wait until the Wii and PS3 are actually out. I know we've seen a lot of pre-rendered stuff for the 3, so it'll be veerrrryyy interesting seeing actual game footage to figure out what 'looks better'.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Call me a fool, but I thought all PS3 games were going to be 1080p?

Whats very, very funny. No matter how much money all these companies are pouring into graphics, they still look fake. HD, SD, whatever. Even CG movies look fake. I'd love for a super expensive console to match the graphics produced by a cheap video camera and 480i TV.

12. mkaake macrumors 65816

part of my first reply, which I deleted before posting, went on into a mini rant to talk about how much I hate that they're trying to make games so realistic... not only will it always look fake to the human eye, but I play games to escape reality. Realism here and there doesn't hurt, but I'm really starting to enjoy games that don't pretend to be real. It's just so much more fun that way...

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

in real world performance:

last gen:

xbox
    gamecube
    dreamcast
    ps2

this gen

360 = ps3 personally i'd give the edge to the 360 but it's too close to call really.
    wii

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Bit of an oxymoron there Jimmi. They are not capturing or producing 'graphics' in the sense of rendering a 3D world, merely capturing and playing back a 'real' image in a digital format.

It's like saying I want a painter to produce the exact same scene detail for detail as I can take in a photograph of the same scene.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye, its more a reflection on how much these DX10 graphics cards are going to cost, how much the PS3/360 are etc, in 2006 (almost 2007) and we still can't make something look real. If we're not at real yet then don't fob me off with semi-real wannabe graphics that get laughed at years down the line. I want to get to that stage where I'm flicking through TV channels, land on a video game channel and say "oh sorry, I thought that was Coronation Street".

Until realism is here I want mind bending art direction at any resolution (DS, Wii, 360, PC etc).

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well it is true, that often the pursuit of 'realism' in a game leads to over emphasis on the not real - like Gran Turismo and its unbreakable cars.

Or fantastic graphics like G.R.A.W - but your soldier cant jump over even the tiniest little stone.

If anything more detail, often simply highlights the not real nature of the game and then ironically tends to be far less immersive because it's harder to forget the blatant boundaries enforced on us.

Give me Okami, LocoRocco any day of the week in comparison.

17. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

As MacRumorUser said above - the XBOX has a more powerful GPU, but the PS3 has a more powerful CPU.

Either way, I agree with the idea that the games/content should drive your purchase, not the quality of the system - which is why, although I'm not a Nintendo fan at all (sorry), I think the Wii will do very well. Microsoft also does a good job with working with developers (just look at Windows), helping the 360 secure a large amount of developers. The PS3, from what I've heard, is highly difficult to develop for, but the results are supposed to be pretty impressive.

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Precisely, hence why Physics is now coming forward as the new thing for games, even with separate PPUs.

The industry should take it's cues from the fighting genre - throw "ultra-realism" outa the window and concentrate more on the player than on the game

EDIT: Wait, a PS3 vs 360 thread that hasn't turned into a horrendous flame war?!? I guess Onizuka must be on holiday...

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The Phandom system is better than all the next gen console....its so powerful they forgot to release it........8 years ago.

Bless

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Ah, yes... the Phantom... best scam in gaming history. Pity he got found out...

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol! the phantom..... to be fair, the keyboard and mouse combo was quite nice for it though.

22. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I had this discussion with some people at another forum.

First I found this link:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

And then on that forum page, there was this comment:

As well as this from someone who has a dev kit who couldn't say much because of NDA:

So... interpret that as you wish.

EDIT: Here's the forum link I was quoting:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91922&st=0

23. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Same here, To this day i havent seen any Playable footage of a ps3 game, only pre rendered ****

24. HGW macrumors member

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Then you haven't been paying much attention. I've actually PLAYED a PS3, side by side an XBox 360 (Sega had an XBox 360 and PS3 side by side running the new Sonic game), looked identical.

Heavenly Sword was very, very impressive though.