Better Hackintosh: Hp Mini 110 or Samsung N310?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crashwins, Dec 18, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I have good options for both..What's preferable? They both seem to get the same on the compatibility charts. Thanks

2. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I have.....

a HP mini 110, mostly for the ocasional Windows-no-so-critical use and for portability in rare cases...With the base 1 GB RAM, the Mini struggles with Windows 7 Ultimate, so for a Hackintosh, would be wise to upgrade the RAM, if that is possible. But no so sure if that is worth it:(

:):apple:

3. macrumors member

Best option: real Mac :)

Smartassed comment to you maybe, but really. Save yourself the money in the long run. Why not a Mac Mini? They also run Windows.

4. macrumors 65816

HP Mini is a laptop (netbook to be specific)... that said, OP have you considered an older Macbook or even a G4 PowerBook? Hackintoshes are loads of troubles and, IMHO, not worth your trouble as a regularly used machine. As a project it'd be fine, though... Again, my opinion.

How about something like this? (And I've seen far cheaper on eBay...)

5. macrumors member

My mistake js81 - I just assumed by the name of the HP Mini, it'd be a small form-factor desktop computer :p

In that case, I would honestly recommend looking in Apples store under the refurbished section. Great systems, thoroughly checked over and delivered in like-new condition with some decent deals if you're budget conscious. That way you also have some form of warranty as well.

6. macrumors 65816

Go for the Samsung. The Intel GMA 3150 in the HP does not work with OS X correctly. It is available as an option on the Samsung, so make sure you get the Intel GMA 950. Having said that, the 950 (and the 3150) is a VERY bad graphics chip, I mean REALLY bad.

Also the Intel Atom CPU may give you problem with anything newer than Snow Leopard. The 1 GB RAM is way too little as well.

I'd say, go for something with at least an i3. Also something with at least 2 GB RAM, if not more. Intel HD 3000 and Intel HD 4000 work with OS X.

AnonMac50

7. thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should have prefaced that I've Hackintoshed before -- the HP Mini, actually. It was a pretty capable little machine and the only issue I had with it was the sleep mode. The only reason I sold it was bc I couldn't rationalize the $400 I spent on it. Now, these are just $100 so it's a whole different decision (same with the Samsung Go).

I just want a lightweight Mac-capable machine for road-warrior stuff. The Air is overpriced IMO and I don't need a Macbook..Sure, I could grab a used Intel MB for like $400, but that's a bit risky..

So, all in all, a $100 for a Hackintosh seems like a no-brainer to me. Will it run like a MBP? Of course not - I know that, but for word processing, surfing, and some basic OSX programs I think it would be fine..

My thinking suggests the Samsung Go would be better..Battery life is stronger and it just looks better, but that may be vanity :) Thanks for the responses!

8. macrumors 65816

For $100, I agree. Just get it setup and make a disk image; that way if things go sideways, you can simply restore it with said image. Have fun!

9. macrumors 65816

I think the Samsung may be a better choice now. Just beware of which GPU you get. :)