Better in the long run?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tamer Brad, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Okay. So I've narrowed my purchase options down to a high end iBook or a low-end PowerBook. This is going to be my first mac and I generally don't have a lot of money, so I want it to last me at least three years. Here are the specs on the machines I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...0-0470231?v=glance&s=electronics&vi=tech-data

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...03-0842810-0470231?v=glance&s=pc&vi=tech-data

Right now I'm leaning towards the PB. I know everyone is bored to death of these topics, but I don't even have my own computer right now, and I've never owned a Mac before. I really want to make sure this gets done right.

If you're going to say something like, "there are thousands of topics like this", you can go right ahead, but I already know. If you really want this thread to die, just don't respond.

Otherwise ... help me out.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're going to get an iBook, I'd recommend the 12 inch one since there's only a marginal processor gain to be had by getting the larger screen (which uses the same resolution remember).

Maybe this one?

3. Tamer Brad thread starter macrumors regular

Hey mad jew, thanks for helping.

I did check out that model, but it is missing so much, especially the DEADLY low harddrive!

4. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

If you order from the apple store you can get the 12in iBook and have them put an 80Gb hdd in :)

You can also add internal bluetooth if you want :D

But it really does depend on what you want to use it for :)

5. Tamer Brad thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but that means tax and no rebate.

I did my math on this one! :D

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Gold star, good boy. :)

I'd say the PowerBook is the better buy here and it represents better value, but it depends on what you're using the machine for (as always) as to whether you should or could justify spending the extra money on one.

7. Tamer Brad thread starter macrumors regular

I usually don't do much processor intensive ... I dabble in photoshop and such, and I also love having lots of things open at once. The main draw for me is aesthetics, hard drive (I absolutely love downloading Japanese music shows), and knowing that this thing will last me as long as I need it to. It's also nice to have in case I suddenly decide I want to do something a bit more intense.

The low-end iBook isn't enough, the high-end iBook is okay but it's just not a good enough deal compared to the Powerbook.

Jeez ... I seem to be answering my own question, don't I?

8. miniguu macrumors regular

9. the future macrumors 6502a

12" Powerbook all the way. It's a fantastic little machine. Very portable and very sexy. You know you want it... :D

10. Tamer Brad thread starter macrumors regular

11. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Definetly go 12 PB, its worth it to get the faster 1.5ghz processor. Although I say this while I own an 867mhz G4 PB that still gets the job(s) done.

12. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would also recommend the PB. It has the faster processor, bigger HDD, and more ram then the iBook. You will not have to update this machine and it will easily last 3 years. You will also get all the eye candy with Tiger. Go for the PB, theres no doubt about that one.

13. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

As a 12" PowerBook owner, and some one who has used an iBook a fair amount, I'd also recommend the 12" PowerBook. It's a great machine and will last you a long while. The 12" iBook is a really good deal, but I don't think the 14" model is worth the money compared with a PowerBook, especially since the bigger screen still has the same 1024 x 768 resolution.