Better junk filter for mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by monroepq, Dec 27, 2005.

1. monroepq macrumors newbie

I love Mail a lot, it's perfect for someone like me who doesn't ask much from an e-mail app, but has anyone else noticed that Mail's junk filter is the WORST and doesn't filter anything? I had to stop using it because of all the junk it let in. Entourage however is perfect, I never get any unsolicited e-mail in my inbox, just all goes to the junk folder. It makes me wonder if the Mail filter even does anything, or if I'm just crazy and none existed in the first place. Anyone know of ways to improve the filter or plug-ins to make it as good as Entourage?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

:rolleyes: You have to train the filter. After a two or three weeks of training, Mail's spam filter does a fantastic job of capturing the bad stuff while letting the good stuff through.

3. monroepq thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so I trained Mail, I left it on this training period for about a few weeks, and by the last day it was marking all messages that were junk mail as junk mail. So I figured it had it down and decided to mark the preference that moves them all to the junk mail folder, though now, for some reason I can't understand, Mail has only marked one message as junk mail, all the rest go through, including messages that before Mail had marked as junk. Anyone know why?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Mail would have told you when it was finished training, itself. You should put it back in training mode and wait for that.

5. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Mail's junkmail filtering isn't that bad, but it does make quite a few mistakes even after being trained for a few months. I switched to Spamsieve and haven't been happier with the results. Highly recommended if you receive a lot of emails.

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Anyone use Spam Sieve?

I'm getting 30-40 junk mails a day.