Better to shutdown?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by demonx, Nov 16, 2002.

1. demonx macrumors regular

Is it better to shut my iBook down when not in use(at night etc) or close the lid and let it sleep?

I run my pcs 24/7, but I like my iBook so if its not good for it would prefer not to:p

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

IT doesn't really matter, I had my imac on for a month and a half, slept it nightly and I suffered no probs. So its ok either way you do it. Sleep or shutdown.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Better to shutdown?

I think your mac will stand up to 24/7 operation better than your PC's, the sleep mode in OSX is fantastic! Far more stable than windows sleep/hibernate.

4. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I keep mine on all day/night not even sleeping..just on a screensaver...I restart it every fortnight or so when it needs doing due to perhaps installs or other stuff...

5. davidc2182 macrumors regular

ok well

if you dont care about the computer eating up power let it sleep its a much faster bounceback than a cold boot, and usually nothing happens when its asleep i mean i think it looses like 6% battery power per day of being asleep so you could leave it unplugged for days and it wouldnt shut down.

6. backspinner macrumors 6502a

better not let the display lamp stay on all night and day because it will degrade in time - putting in sleep does switch it off so that is ok

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

edesignuk, you hit the nail in the butt with that one.

[Rant]
    At class the other day, my AP Chem class was working with wireless PCs, which were not shut down properly (the previous class let their students log out and close the lid, most likely). The attempts much of the class made to log in were a whore in spike. (I don't mean to offend anyone, but...) From boot to successful log-in (if you were lucky enough) took over a minute, more like two minutes. For those, who could not log in, it took either up to 10 minutes, or continued to get the same Fredding "network tree" error. Some people were lucky enough to have few problems with PCs from "sleep" mode to log in, and others, well... My first ever 10 consecutive minutes of working with a portable PC was blue dell! :rolleyes: [/Rant]

BOT: I recommend keeping the iBook in sleep mode, rather than boot up, shut down, etc. I used to do that all the time, but I started to use the simple technique, called closing the iBook lid, and it has saved me a lot of time. I even put the Cube to sleep when not in use, except if there is a possible storm coming.

My father has and uses the last G3 Powerbook 400 model, and usually goes weeks or months w/o shutting it down, and he uses OS 9.

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

I only have one problem with sleeping --- that is that it takes my crt monitor time to warm up againt to a useable brightness.

As for LCDs then if you shutdown it is only because your running out of battery, your out of battery, or your in an airport. Any other reason is bull so, i think your question has been answered

9. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I recommend people restart once a day, though, to reduce the effects of memory leaks and such.