Better Video for Powerbook

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Quicksilver, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Quicksilver macrumors newbie

I think that the next release of the PB better have a better video card, Apple needs to quit slackin on the components like that, a GeForce 4 would be nice.

Anyone know if what Apple plans to put in the next release?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm..the current card is an ATI Radeon...how is that slacking?

NVidia hasn't announced anything new, and I can't see how they can keep giving Apple exclusive announcement rights to new products (especially since Apple blew the last one :rolleyes: ).

PS. Shouldn't it be "cogito" in your sig? Unless you're not saying "I think"...:D

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hell yes! 32 MB video card!!

i agree. i hope the next TiBook has a 32 MB video card, at least in the highend model.

4. iGav macrumors G3

Faster is always nicer....

I have a Rev A Ti Book 500Mhz and the main concern I'm beginning to have it video performance, I'm still pretty happy with the performance of the G4 overall but I'd love some more video power....

I've yet to see the performance of the ATI Radeon in the new models for myself but I presume they make a huge difference of the Rage Mobility in the Rev A Ti Book..... I did consider changing my Ti Book for a 667Mhz when they first came out, but the overall performance increase I felt wouldn't have made a huge difference to my productivity.....

So I'm waiting for a real tasty upgrade, either Dual Processors, G5 or Superdrive!!! :D

I can wait...... well I can't but my Bank Manager will say I can!!!:mad:

5. Quicksilver thread starter macrumors newbie

I was gonna get a new PB, but decided to wait a few months for the next major release. ITS ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME.

I hope they change the appearance of it a bit(make it darker?)

6. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Nvidia has actually anounced a mobile GeForce 4. It's the MX version not the Ti:( But I dont think they can fit it in a PowerBook. HP has it in one of their fatty, heavy, ugly P4 laptops.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I play Quake III at the highest possible resolution on my 667, and it runs without a hiccup. I'm not sure GF4MX based video would be any faster than the Radeon, and if it was, it would be overkill without higher screen resolution (which would also be nice, of course).

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

With more memory (32 megs) it would do better are large 3D stuff, I use Lightwave. But aside from that, I'd just really like to see them go to higher resolution. The 1152x1024 is not exactly large by any standard. Dell has had a 1600x1200 res laptop out for over a year.

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I do not mean to be rude or insult anybody but...

The overall video output of the entire line of powerbook really sucks!

I'm talking about the s-vhs output.

I'm a VJ and I'm really squicing out (sorry about the spelling) that port. I do not know what is the architecture with the DVD out put but regarding a video mirowing and animation they are way to cheap components.

The only way to resolve that is using a video scanner and a good one cost about $2000.

I talked with a video editor 2 weeks ago and he told me that laptops and powerbooks doesn't have a good video scan because they targeting powerpoint stuff mostly not animation.

I'm really having a hard time runing animation in events and rave partys, most of my animations are black and white! or no more than 8 colors based.

10. Quicksilver thread starter macrumors newbie

That sucks d00d, the composite video out seems like a cool feature, but if its ****ty then whats the point. Like I said, they need better components.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I just tried going s-video to composite out to my TV and it looked fine. I ran a full screen iTunes visualization at 800x600.

What exactly is the problem you're seeing?

12. iGav macrumors G3

ohh!!!

I do alot of broadcast quality DV work whether it be editing or post production, and I use the S-output on my Ti Book to preview my work, whether this be at standard PAL or 16.9 widescreen I get rather good play back......

I really don't want to impugn your statement but I find the output very much suitable for my work.... and the colours and quality are very vibrant....... This is also the situation with regards to DVD playback via a projector..... or through a TV/Monitor....

I cant agree with the statement that:

"that laptops and powerbooks doesn't have a good video scan because they targeting powerpoint stuff mostly not animation."

Sorry but that is bo**cks I use my Ti Book for Hi-End video and post production work!! And I find that my Ti Book can certainly handle the quality.... I run FCP for editing and I work with After Effects, Commotion and Combustion day to day from my Ti Book....for Post work.... sure it's not as fantasic as the latest 2 Ghz Power Mac, but it certainly can handle DV work......:D and the quality....

Ultimately more than just "Powerpoint" stuff.....

Check u'r configuration....... :D

Thank you....

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I'm talking about th s-vhs out put!

The iTunes is optimize for the powerbook, but use a quicktime movie in millions of colors using blue colors specially.

One may get used to it until you do the same thing with a miromotion card. There is too much difference in quality.

Do this, take a quicktime 320 x 240 at 15 frames with the Powerbook video output and the same with a PCI video card if you have the chance.

I even plug the rgb output to my 17" ctr monitor (the one I use with the G4 tower) and the resolution is not the same usin millions of colors in both and 1024 x 768 size. The output of the rgb of the pismo does not have the same quality.

But if some one can explain me something... Why the DVD looks so well?

14. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i think s video looks fine

i run dvd's to my lcd projector quite often and they look fine. itunes also. the only think that "lacks" is osx running at 800x600, but that is expected. i don't do real rave stuff, but itunes runs a smooth 17fps at millions of colors.

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OK...I tried the following, and it looked great (using the s-video to composite adapter that comes with the TiBook):

Played the latest Spiderman trailer FULL SCREEN in mirrored mode @ 800x600 and thousands of colors - Looks great, good playback.

Did it again at 1024x768 and millions - Noticed slight choppiness.

There is no reason for you to complain about the output unless you're trying to playback at high res or high colors. Since you said you're just using black and white then color's not the problem.
    The only other thing I can think of is that you might be going out to PAL, and I can only check NTSC.
    Other than that, see if you just have a bad cable or the output on your powerbook.

I'm using a 400 MHz TiBook, running OS X, just in case that makes a difference...

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've never seen a problem with the video playback. I plugged the TiPB into a projector with 1024x768 and ran Quicktime, AVI, and DVDs and never had a color issue or frame rate problem.

17. Quicksilver thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats no good, you need 30fps at least inorder to get good video, 17 just isnt gonna cut it.

18. iGav macrumors G3

I think...

idkew was on about iTunes getting 17 fps playback, as opposed to just 17 fps for DV or DVD......

I've not had any problems with quality or framerate from my Ti Book!!!! It runs perfectly well at PAL @ 25 fps, but equally as good at NTSC @ 30 fps!!

Sure the quality isn't Broadcast quality or as good as a Pro card, but then again, S-Video isn't Broadcast quality anyway!! But the quality is very good!!

It should be more than able to handle club visuals......... easily at 30 fps......

Maybe you should look at different codecs to compare suitable quality offset against low file size and smoother playback if you really are having problems....:)

If your still having problems, check the S-Video adapter there maybe a fault with this, or with the AV/scart connectors you're using to hook it up to external TV's or Projectors......

19. Pelorus macrumors regular

Err...cos it's not the best?

Because the GeForce2Go is better than the ATI Radeon Mobility and NVIDIA have a new mobile gfx GPU out as well.

ATI also have the RADEON 7500 Mobility.

DELL will do an Inspiron 8200 with a 64 MB DDR NVIDIA®  GeForce4 440 Go and also their Precision laptop workstations provide their users with 15" UXGA screens (1600x1200) and a NVidia Quadro2 Go with 32MB DDR video memory.

The ATI RADEON Mobility in the TiBook is a bit puny these days.

20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Err...cos it's not the best?

I stand corrected. I didn't know that the GeForce4 Go was shipping...okay then, Apple, let's see an update!

21. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    17 does not skip at all, no glitches, smooth as silk...

and if i remember correctly, an lcd display can only refresh at 15 or 20 fps anyway, you would never "truely" see the extra frames. (projectors are lcds also). this was already an argument in a diff thread about 3d gaming and frame rate.

now maybe for full motion video.....

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Since LCDs dont refresh like CRTs do, your can't use fps as a speed measure. They use response time instead, where the typical range is 30 - 50 milliseconds.