Between Rock & Hard Spot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Apple Corps, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #1
    Several weeks ago a series of events transpired that generated a need for me to purchase a new 15" laptop. Here we are - fully six weeks since the MBP was announced and still virtually no in store availability - my on-line order is still a month from scheduled arrival. This is now a crunch on my business. Apple has no new 15" PB for sale and long wait times for the MBP. It is difficult to understand how a sophisticated company like Apple could put its customers and itself in a situation like this. IMO, this is not a simple "high demand" situation - everyone knew how overdue the laptop line was for an update - high demand could not have been a surprise. Supply is still VERY POOR 6 weeks post announcement. Come on Apple - get your production capability ramped up.
     
  2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #2
    You can get Powerbooks, from Amazon.com.

    Otherwise, maybe your MacBook Pro will ship soon :) Best of luck with it.
     
  3. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #3
    powerbook911 - thanks for the PB lead at Amazon. I went ahead and ordered a brand new one - should be here by Wednesday. There are reports of the MBP shipping earlier than scheduled - maybe I'll get lucky and get a good one early. Or - maybe one of our local resellers will get one in. I am hoping that the 1.67 DL I just ordered does not have the banding problem on the screen - I had great luck with my 1.25 AlPB - zero problems :)

    Cheers:)
     
  4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

    yoda13

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    Are you keeping both of those computers, or are you cancelling your order with Apple, or selling the PowerBook when the MacBookPro comes in?
     
  5. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #5
    yoda13 - EXCELLENT question:confused:

    Amazon has a 30 day return option w/o restocking fees. If I can find a "good" MBP I will purchase it through a reseller and cancel my Apple order and return the PB - probably in "un-opened" condition. The PB order was to cover my business needs in the event there is a major issue with the new MBP. Lacking other options - I'll accept the Apple order and see if it is problem free. If not, I'll return it and have a glass of wine and wonder what to do:eek:

    I've spent a lot more time confirming return policies than I want to but must avoid a drawn out repair / return cycle. I must have a high performing laptop w/i the next three weeks because of business needs. I've even looked at the new Vaio - WOW - they look great (just not the right OS). My hope is to get a GOOD MBP soon - I do choke a bit at the thought of purchasing a "new" PB with 167 frontside bus and all of the end of life technology. Maybe this will be the week it all sorts out.
     
  6. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #6
    Well - I was able to purchase a stock 2.0 MBP through a reseller. About 15 minutes of experience on it thus far. It runs DEAD QUIET - no noise - no screen issues other than a bit of uneven backlighting (no show stopper IMO).

    I'll report more later today.

    Regards - Rick
     
  7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

    yoda13

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #7
    Good choice, IMO. I think you'll be happier with the MBP.;)
     
  8. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #8
    A few more hours experience - :D :D :D

    Ran the battery down to near zero and am recharging now - will load MS Office tonight and play around with it. Still ++++

    Rick
     

Share This Page