Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
To each his own I guess. I have a program that uninstalled and removes everything to do with the program you drag into it. So you get no trash items left behind or empty libraries

Yep, and some/many/all third-party apps that do this might do it well enough, but better to not have made the mess in the first place than to clean it up and have the potential for "leftovers." ;-) I can guarantee there are no leftovers with a fresh install.

I don't need Garage Band, use FCPX instead of iMovie, use DxO Optics Pro instead of iPhoto. What better time to customize the OS install just as I want it (mostly) than when the machine is brand new?

peterski

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Los Angeles
clean install Lion, then iLife from MBA USB stick

Well, I did a clean install of Lion last night and was prepared to shell out some $$ to buy the apps from the app store... but before I did that I said, why not try to install it from the Snow Leopard USB stick that came with my MBA, and it worked like a charm.

Once you plug in the USB stick it shows two icons; one for installing snow leopard, and the other one for iLife Package... once you click the iLife Package it allows you to install iLife '11 and customize it how you want (meaning which apps you want to install)

The install was very quick, and once it was done I ran a software update which picked up updates for the just installed iLife '11 from the USB stick.

Yes, I don't have the apps listed in the Installed/Purchased section of the Mac App Store... but who cares.

So OP... there is nothing to be scared of when it comes clean installing Lion.

peterski

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I stand corrected...

AFAIK, there is no USB-stick bundled with the 2011 MBAs, only a restore partition on the SSD which does not include the iLife suite.

ack, ack... I assumed he was talking about a 2010 MBA (missed the "new" part there) ... so now I'm a little lost here... if the intended result was to free up some space from apps not used in the iLife package I would have simply used AppCleaner or something similar, but then again to each is own.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Not as much as I would like, only a couple of GB's. They have really taken away the custom install options.

That's because they already cut the install in half and issue drivers on demand. You may want to look into Xslimmer. However use the backup option until you know it didn't bork a program (2 weeks).

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
[...] I would have simply used AppCleaner or something similar, but then again to each is own.

That's probably what I'll try first as well when (if?) I get my 11". Or rather: delete the app and do a system wide search (including system folders) for [app name] and/or [developer name] as I usually do.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Yep, this is how to do it. aristocrat has nailed the answer on the head.

Quote form aristocrat: "If anyone missed it, above is the correct way of recovering iLife on 2011 Airs after a clean install of Lion.

If you'd prefer to read it from Apple directly, it's the third paragraph down:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718"

Last edited:

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
This.

The apps get tied to your AppleID and hardware serial number, once you "Accept" them in the purchased tab of the MAStore.

They get tied to your Apple ID not the hardware serial number. Apple does not track App Store Apps by hardware serial numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.