beware of used mac buying nigerians

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mord, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Dear, l got your contact details through web directory(CLASSIFIED) that you want to sell your Apple ibook G3 ,which l am highly interested to order for it. Kindly furnish me the last price for the items ,and shipping charges of the items via fedex courier or Ups base on door to door delivery to the below address. The items will be ship to: AKINWALE VICTOR 8 GEORGE STREET SHOMOLU,LAGOS NIGERIA. Regards Brenda Newsome. Tel:234-8023415195."

i got this after listing my ibook in free ads paper and what i relpyed can be summirised as hell no unless you give me the money up front.

the fact that there grammer is poor and there location makes this look like an automatically generated scam what do you think?

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Sorry, man.

I hate to make a generalization like the following, but Nigerian buisness deals are almost always scams. In the ones that I've heard of, the "Nigerians" actually send the money, but it's a check....and a fake one. One guy tried to buy a huge load of Thule car racks. Another tried to sell me a maxed out G5 ($14,000 retail price) for $3000. Honestly, I'd avoid the deal, as international scams tend to be harder to protect against.
    Just my opinion.
    -klon

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

well i'd only send it if the check cleared so consider me sensible

it's a great shame that these things are always Nigerian as i'm sure any serious nigerian would have a huge difficulty buying things from ebay

4. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Well, such generalization is warranted given the massive number of those scammers from those countries that won't enforce the same laws.
    On eBay with my listings, I always get people that wants to buy off eBay and promise that they will send money in some other way.....don't fall for this, it is a scam. Even if it costs money using PayPal and time for Money order or cashier's check, use those to protect yourself as well as the buyers.
    You know, I am a nice person, but I wouldn't hesitate to beat those scammers senseless.

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

6. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

better to be a scamming arshole than be dead or starving from poverty, that country needs to sort themselves out.

7. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

If they have internet access and means to forge/scam, they are not going hungry. They could get a regular job, but they choose to leech off the decent people that are trying to make a living.
    Oooooh, I just hate those !#&%^(!*#&$^(!*&#$ :mad:

8. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

i'm not condoneing there actions but why is there not this problem in ritcher countrys? becuase you can get a decent education and a job which is much harder there, poverty, and greed pushes people to crime and i suspect it is the first in this case

and yes if i met one of there ****ers i'd hit them allot

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

The good 'ol US-of-A has *MORE* than it's fair share of white-collar crime, both of this nature and much more serious issues. We just prefer to look beyond the borders... :mad:

10. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Actually, there are many scammers here in US (and other rich countries as well). There were recent "interested buyers" that contacted me about buying some stuff that I am selling on eBay directly. They were trying to scam me (I know this...they thought because my rating was low that I was a new eBayer, but they don't know that that is my 5th account to keep the rating under 200).
    I don't know who these people are, but they were giving me address in US (probably routed to another country from there), but identity thieves buy things with stolen cards and ......well there's too many to list, but this happens in all countries, just a lot more in Niegeria and Indonesia.

11. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

the us of a has some extreme poverty aswell this combined with the cheapness of internet acsess would be a ripe area for internet fraud.

12. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

...and it *is*.

{sigh}

13. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Snopes.com is a great site for stuff like this (they give all the goods on whether stuff is legit or not - mostly not)

Snopes Article 1

Snopes Article 2

Just curious as to why you'd want to keep your rating low?

Edit: asked question/cleaned up URL's.

14. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I wouldn't be surprised if a good proportion of the scammers claiming Nigerian origin were not from Nigeria at all. In fact, I'm surprised that your scammers even said they were from Nigeria (regardless of their actual origin) because the country's become practically synonymous with "scam" on today's Internet.

15. Santiago macrumors regular

Unfortunately, the check "clearing" is not proof that you actually have the money. It is still possible for the check to be fraudulent after your bank tells you it has cleared, especially with international dealings. Some scams rely upon this "feature" of US federal banking legislation that places an (I believe) two week limit on how long banks can wait before being required to tell you the check has cleared. Unfortunately, it's best to just not do business with individuals from Nigeria or other countries with similar rates of fraud.

16. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Just for kicks, why on Earth would you keep changing accounts to keep feedback BELOW 200? I thought the goal/purpose of feedback was to have a decent amount of it and mostly positive.
    Unless you had excessive negative feedback, why would you care if it reached 200?

17. Titchski macrumors newbie

I would think this has been posted here before, but if you want a good read check out this:

p-p-p-powerbook

:D

18. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Yeah, I'm wondering about the whole keeping feedback below 200 thing too. Are you worried if you have high feedback you'll be a target for account hijackers?

As for these Nigeria deals, like any offer, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

19. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

I LOVE P-P-P-Powerbooks!!!!!!!!!!

YAYYYYYY!!!!!!

20. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

i'm not sure if it's the same here in the uk, so note to self take all money out of bank when fake check clears :eek:, i havent got a response from them so i dont think i'll be dealing with them any time soon

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Another thing to be weary of is a phone number on these types of offers. there are many scams out there that are simply wanting you to place a call to an international number (or somethimes one in the US) to get you to make the long distance call to them. For instance, there are area codes in the us that are very similar to 800 or 888 numbers, but are not and are not free like most people would think they are. the worst ones are numbers that originate in the Bahamas. There are numbers that if you should happen to call them you can be charged $399.00 a minute without you knowing it. I had someone make a five minute call to one of these numbers in the Bahamas using my calling card number *(it was an inside job at MCI) and it showed up as $1294.00 on our monthly bill. Obviously was not our call and we didn't have to pay for it. Luckily I had our credit card automatically pay the bill, cause they fought it with MCI for me so I didn't have to do a thing except dispute the charge.

there is also a scam right now where someone will call your machine and leave a name and number and sometimes even a business name and when you call them back they get money in the bank for the long distance charge- I guess it works sort of like a phone sex number would.

22. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

i guess the way to foil that is to go to a public phone and only put in like 50p if you think it amy be worth following, but in my case i definatly wont be following this up