Beware: Offers to "Share" Your Cable Account

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by robbieduncan, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Users of this forum please beware of users offering (via PM, posts, email or otherwise) to share your US based Cable TV account/login, either in exchange for cash or even for free. Whilst you are free to enter into such an agreement if you want you need to be aware that the person you "share" with will have access to all your account details and you are almost certainly breaking your contract with your cable provider. If you see posts in the forums asking for this please report them as such posts are against the rules.

2. macrumors 68020

I would never. Nothing like seeing your cable bill go up a few hundred dollars because they added additional services.

3. macrumors newbie

I didn't even know things like this happened! Why would anyone want to link to my cable and how would that benefit them in the first place?

4. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

Has anyone gotten suckered into giving out their account information? Hey, you want my social security number too?? Sure no problem!

5. macrumors demi-god

They can use your credentials to login to online streaming services that require you have a cable account, like HBO Go, etc.

6. macrumors newbie

Thank you! Now I get it, I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what they could be doing with my cable tv. :)

7. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

While I'm not a sharing person, so this isn't a danger for me. The only thing I've found that I can do with my username/password is log into a few channel apps on kid's iPads. Is there a way I could get charged from a five-year-old watching Disney, Nick or Cartoon channels?

8. macrumors G3

charlituna

If there was a charge they are required to say so from the top. Generally access to those apps is considered part of your account which is why all you have to do is sign in.

9. macrumors 6502a

My best friend shares his account with me for a chunk of change and I wouldn't dare add services or view his financial information, but I definitely agree with the warning. Good friends is completely different than strangers on the internet.

10. macrumors 65816

My cable tv company allows me to share my plan. They give me the ability to create sub-accounts that do not have access to change/view my account info.

11. macrumors 6502a

Nice!

12. macrumors newbie

Just curious... What cable company is that?

13. macrumors 65816

Verizon Fios

14. macrumors 68020

is sharing with your wife/girlfriend illegal? :D

15. macrumors member

Ha.. .read it fast and thought you said, "is sharing your wife/girlfriend illegal?"

GreginNJ likes this.
  16. macrumors regular

There may well be legal implications as well. There were cases in the UK recently whereby people sharing ISP connections ended up in court as their cheap-ass colleagues/friends had downloaded all sorts of copyrighted content.

GreginNJ likes this.
  17. macrumors 6502a

This scam has been popular for some time now, too many easy marks.

18. macrumors newbie

Reload this Page Beware: Offers to "Share" Your Cable Account

Thanks friend for the great information sharing.I am new to this forum.
    I thing it will be helpful for me.

19. macrumors regular

Comcast also allows you to create sub accounts without the ability to access user info or to change/add services.

About all I am aware of the person being able to do is to access apps on their phone/tablet/apple tv/etc to watch existing cable channels, though I am sure there are more nefarious things that could be done by some enterprising individual.