Beware retailers claiming iPad2 cases fit iPad3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hazza, Mar 13, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Reading that the new iPad was a tad thicker than the iPad 2, I was surprised to see MobileFun.co.uk claiming to have stock of a vast range of cases for the as yet unreleased iPad. I queried it with MobileFun and they assured me the current MicroShell Folio I wanted would work with the new iPad.

I decided to do my own independent research and asked Marware the same question. Their reply:

"The MicroShell, MicroShell Folio, and CEO Hybrid products for iPad 2 are not compatible with 'the new iPad'. They might fit, but the quality of that fit isn't great."

I forwarded this onto MobileFun, but it seems they have chosen to completely disregard this information.

Beware!

Cheers
    Harry

2. macrumors member

0.6mm seems a fair bit thicker to me when it comes to old cases and shells being compatible.

3. macrumors regular

it depends on the case you are planning to use.

4. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It all depends on the type of case.

The shells that just barely grip around the front edges of the device just may not lock in if the iPad 3 is even a tiny bit thicker.

Any case your device slides into should still work but might fit slightly tighter.

5. macrumors 68040

The correct microshell is available direct from Marware. Use coupon code: MARWAREMC01 for 10% off & free shipping still applies

6. macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

0.6mm is nothing, it's not even as thick as 7 sheets of paper.

Here's how to see if your iPad 2 case will fit your new iPad.

1. Take 4 sheets of A4 paper
    2. Cut them in half
    3. Place 7 of the half pieces in your case
    4. Place iPad 2 in case

This is now thicker than the new iPad, does it fit OK?