Beware the Red Slime!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Washington Post

Okay, so the Democrats are participating in some sliming too. But largely their ads seem to be somewhat substantive, if extreme. There is a ton of stuff coming out of the GOP side that is, at best, an incredible twisting of the truth, and at worst, outright lies. I'm seeing it a lot even in political ads for local candidates here in Ohio. The little guys are learning it from the big guys.

This whole slimefest raises a number of interesting questions, among which are:

1: What does this all say about the "character" and "morals" of the GOP candidates...or of the party in general? (And does the general public recognize this?)

2: Should we move all the more aggressively to curb "soft money" (which funds many of these "Paid for by the _____ National Committee" ads)?

3: Is any of this going to backfire, or do Democrats need to torque up their own ads in order just to compete?

I think we'll find the answer to [3] in the days following Nov. 7th.

As to the rest, I think the Democrats are doing a somewhat better job of pointing out the hypocrisy of the GOP "Christians" participating in this kind of sleazy character assassination. But I think they can still do a lot better. Their commercials need to ask, frequently and consistently, "What kind of candidate makes these kinds of false charges and still calls himself a Christian?"

And the soft money -- we need to do away with it. Candidates would still be able to run their own slimy ads, but at least their names would be on them, and they wouldn't be able to hide behind, "Well, my campaign had nothing to do with this. It was (name of PAC) that put out the ad."

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I've been seeing some nast nasty ad's here in Arizona. There are Republican ad linking a Democratic candidate to NAMBLA, two ads accusing Democratic candidates of cheating on their tax forms.

It is true that the Democrat's ads are a bit slimy too, but nowhere near what the Republicans are doing. Every Democrat ad I've seen has just been talking about the failures of the Republicans to get anything done in Iraq, to catch Bin-Laden, link corrupt congressmen to Abromoff, to link corrupt congressmen to Foley, and to show that the Republicans are putting out nast nasty ads in desperation.

I agree though, get rid of the soft money.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Santorum is running an ad showing Casey's head next to mushroom cloud.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

!!!

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

At the risk of appearing partisan, I'd have to agree with you.

The Democrats have no lack of Republican corruption and failure to point to. They don't have to make things up or distort them.

Whereas the Republican gambit seems to be, "Yes, we're low-life scum...but the Democrats are even scummier than we are." And then they try to create some situation which makes the Dems look bad.

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Sum's it up perfectly.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just saw a commercial from the republicans in support for Jim NoTalent stating that Claire McCaskill doesn't pay her taxes and funnels money through the Bahamas to avoid paying that.

Come on, lets get back to reality...If McCaskill truly wasn't paying her taxes and was avoiding them as well, do you really think that someone in the public spotlight like her wouldn't get caught and would be able to get away with it without going to jail? Does anyone actually believe this sh*t?

Ironically, the commercial was during Dateline's online sex predator thing, I was half expecting to see Foley make an appearance :D

8. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Maize Gillian he's for cancer (if you havent seen head of state you should)

We've got an add here in VA from everyone's favortie racist senator (George Allen)

Horror music plays and then somebody basically claims that Webb hates marriage because he thinks homosexuals deserve civil unions/marriage. Then it just repeats his name with hilary clinton repeatedly...it's very entertaining.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

caseymush.jpg

It's like a troika of armageddon.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Same with Ohio Democrat Sherrod Brown, running for Mike DeWine's seat.

They found out that, years ago, the federal government sent some sort of tax bill to his campaign headquarters -- an address Brown hadn't used in a few years. Not surprisingly, Brown's staff never paid or even saw the bill.

When the feds discovered their goof, they didn't have a problem with it, and Brown paid what he owed. But now the Republicans are going around simply saying, "Sherrod Brown didn't pay his taxes for thirteen years!!"

Of course it's worded in such a way that it doesn't sound like he missed one payment thirteen years ago, but that he hasn't paid his taxes for any of the last 13 years.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Meanwhile, back in the White House...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-rove29oct29,0,440699.story