BF 1942 coming to Mac, FOR REAL!!!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by wbrowne1, Mar 25, 2004.

1. wbrowne1 macrumors member

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Great news! One more game to play on LANs with my PC friends.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Don't get too excited about playing it over the LAN with your PC friends... sometimes games won't work that way (especially if they use DirectPlay I believe) so I'd hate for you to strut it around too much only to be laughed at by your PC friends later.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hmm, true. Latest example is C&C Generals, but it is still a big chance, especially when you think of all the comments that BF1942 will never ever make it to the Mac. So let's hope for network compatibility. Perhaps Aspyr announces something that makes it clear.

5. monarch macrumors newbie

still wont be able to play the PC specific mods like Desert Combat and Forgotten Hope which in case if you mac noobs dont know make regular battlefield look like sh*t.

http://www.desertcombat.com

go see for yourselfs, in fact i built a PC solely to play desertcombat.

better have a beefly vid card.to enjoy this game

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

What makes you so sure that Desert Combat is PC specific and can't be played on a Mac? In fact, on IMG they already talk about this mod, which needn't mean anything but could be a good indication.

Your post gives me the impression you just want to flame.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i would like to get excited about this announcment, but the new battlefield vietnam far surpases 1942 in terms of fun and gameplay. but it is still a kick ass game and will be a great addition to the mac gaming community.

iJon

8. monarch macrumors newbie

yes, how do i know because i own a PC and play DesertCombat, which in fact is a 600mb .exe file (in case u dont know .exe is pc specific). DC runs on the same game engine as BF, but conversions will have to be made in order to make it work on the mac platform.....

oh, and DesertCombat isn't made by EA or DICE its developed by a 3rd party called Trauma Studios and i dont recall anything in the press release saying Aspyr had presmission to port DC.

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

10. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Yes, I know, because I'm no noob. But is it really a 600MB executive or a self extracting archive? If it's self extracting you could use the files nevertheless.

I don't say you're not right, but you could be a lot more helpful if you wouldn't treat everyone else like they know nothing.

Edit: seems I was right:

11. monarch macrumors newbie

What about Trauma Studios? it's their frickin mod. i hear no word on their side

12. monarch macrumors newbie

its a bit of both, things will have to be changed in order to work on the mac platform.

13. Funkatation macrumors regular

BF:Vietnam is just a mod... Desert Combat has pretty much done what it brings already.. and its FREE! I'm not so worried about BF:V, but more so if the mods will run... would be nice if you could take the game files from the pc and use them on the mac (once they are installed of course) but it's doubtful...

Anyways, this is good news... now here's hoping for Rise of Nations...

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

mod?? is that why its 40 dollars and sports all new levels, game engine, weapons, physics, vehicles. Vietnam is a totally new game and much more fun because it has new gameplays, a new engine, better communication and maps and the list goes on.

desert combat is during desert storm, not vietnam so they are in no similar. anyawys i believe desert combat runs on the graphic level of the program, all that would need to be rewritten is the install file.

iJon

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Far Cry looks like it may be the game this year along with Doom3. Anyways no mention of a Mac version for Far cry so 1942 will have to do but if Apple keeps playing around I may just order an Aurora and wont have to play this waiting game anymore. would it be so wrong to jump the Mac Fence for superior Hardware? Im very tempted.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i was excited about doom 3, 2 years ago. but i played the alpha version and that was enough fun for me. half life 2 is getting to be the smae with me, but i will probably still buy it cause i think it will bring more to the table than doom 3 with its amazing physics engine and realism.

iJon

17. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I dont really like DC, the tanks are nowhere near as powerful as in BF1942, plus more people play the normal BF1942 than any of the mods.

Anyway, there is no real reason why the mods wont work on the Mac version. Most UT2003 PC mods work on the Mac.

Well I am hoping to get a G5 this summer, so I will probably get it for the Mac, even though I have it on my PC.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Only if I get to gloat when the chance comes up! :D

19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

They were answered with Medal of Honor, and that game reaks. Nothing more than Unreal in khaki pants.

20. couch potato macrumors regular

i bet you can play PC mods on mac. its just like .pk3 sort of thing, only the files are .raf

there isnt any reason why you couldnt play those mods

21. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I'm very excited about this game coming to Mac! Finally!!! :D

22. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Desert Combat is so wildly popular, it now outranks the original Battlefield 1942 in terms of games played day in and day out. Yes, folks, it's that good.

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

700mhz g3, yeah right. a g4 will have hard enough time playing this game. i expect this game to only play well on a g5. from my experience a 64mb card will get you by on this game. my 2ghz pc with a 128mb video card handles fine with all detail on high. but i think all imac and emac users will not be to pleased, but we will just have to wait and see.

iJon