BF1942 reviews, anyone?

Discussion in 'Games' started by FasterSoonerNow, Jul 5, 2004.

1. FasterSoonerNow macrumors member

Does anyone have it, yet?

I checked my local Apple Store today... They still didn't recieve it.

But if you have, I'd definitely like to hear about it.

Relatively smooth playing? What Mac are you playing it on? Any bugs? etc.

2. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

bump...

anyone? Call of Duty is an awesome port - but what about BF1942?

my apple store still doesn't have it yet, either.

i thought there were a lot of folks fired up about this?

:rolleyes:

3. evil macrumors 6502

4. Nor_mac macrumors newbie

I've played BF1942 quite a bit on PC and you can certainly look forward to a great game! From what I can see from the QT promos the game looks even better on the mac.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I just got my official copy.
    It's a pretty good game, though I prefer CoD. The AI (especially on teammates) is completely and utterly retarded. The harder you make the game, the more retarded they get. But most of the time they won't hamper you too much. Some of the maps are tremendous fun. Driving tanks is a blast (literally). Flying is a pain in the posterior (IMO). Online is a lot of fun, but there seem to be a lot of Desert Combat sites out there. Something that is not available for the Mac yet. Though I hear tell of people being able to download it and extract the right files to play DC on their Macs. If you like FPS WWII games, then this one should be right up your alley, as long as you remember that it's become glorified capture (and hold) the flag, which can be fun!

6. applekid macrumors 68020

DC is available.

Check one of the older threads posted here. There was a link to a file in a .dmg or .sit format.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

How is the performance in BF1942 and what are the specs on your computer?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

DP 1.4GHz G4 Qwoosh (read: Quicksilver '01 with a loud-ass fan) / 1GB RAM / nVidia GeForce 4 Ti (128MB)

It plays very well with the graphics cranked up. If you try and crank up the amount of bots in the game beyond ~175-200%, you'll see a significant slow down. The sound can be a little wonky at times, but it's all about the channels and the MHz of the sound output. I ended up keeping the defaults and not playing with those too much.. I have junky speakers anyway.

9. peteMG macrumors member

I can't comment on the mac version, but the thing that solved flying for me on the PC was getting a USB adapter for an old N64 controller I had laying around. I was able to get buttons laid out just how I like them, and went from feeling totally useless in the cockpit to loving every minute of it. I found landing, picking up extra ammo or people, and getting back up there extra rewarding.

USB adapter: Adaptoid at Jandaman

10. dpaste macrumors newbie

I love it! I think it's the most addictive game ever but also I love WWII stuff and any type of game that can succesfully pull a different kind of experience.

CoD single player was a lot of fun but when it came to multiplayer I just didn't care anymore. BF1942 is dynamic in comparison with your standrard run and gun action but also the very easy use of dozens of different vehicles and weapon emplacements. I think DICE did an amazing job giving so many different controls and unique physics over each vehicle and still making it exciting and arcade-like in comparison to a simulator.

If your playing BF1942 in single player then your cheating yourself. BF1942 is almost completely about the multiplayer experience.

Speaking of which, does anybody know of any other links to download the converted Mods for BF1942 beside the link in the threads here? I've been trying for a half day now and I'm still being asked to wait 10 minutes.

Just as a side note BF1942 has been my only and last reason for still using a PC until now. I work entirely on Macs and I think the fact they got this title ported is amazing. I hope it runs OK but I really hope that in the future they could take an extra month in developement and make these games for the Mac as well.

One last note, my Apple store still hasn't recieve it but my Comp USA did.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL. I found "landing" to be a deadly crashing experience. :)

12. darkwing macrumors 65816

Why land? Jump out in mid air and hit the parachute key. Nothing is better than ramming your plane into someone's tank and laughing from above.

Steve

13. FasterSoonerNow thread starter macrumors member

Here's something I love doing... (if you're an engineer)

Fill up the jeep with all of the remote dynamite sticks you have... Then get in... And drive toward your target (try to take it easy driving or some of the dyno will fall out of the jeep), when you're in range... Punch the gas... Speed toward your target (be it a tank, plane, or just an area where enemies are known to be) When you're almost there... Jump out of the jeep, it'll keep moving, and push the button.

BOOM.

Creates a MASSIVE explosion.

14. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

just get the game...this game is cooll...you wont regret it... :D

15. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Anyone running this on a new 17PB? Hoes it fare? Any hints on setups for max performance?

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I've been looking forward to this game for a while, but what I did not expect is the lack of joystick support. Flying a fighter without a joystick is like trying to eat without using your hands. Possible, awkward, but not natural or enjoyable.

While I've read online some people are having luck with some joysticks, the lack of documentation is frustrating. I've emailed Aspire and they've told me "gamepad support is limited in the original game." I've got a CH Products Combatstick 568 and have never had any recognition problems with flight-based games. I'll try USB Overdrive and see if that works, but this is a serious detriment to an otherwise fine game.

17. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Overly Disapointed.

I've been looking forward to this game for a year now. I got the last copy on the shelves today since the specs say 867 with a 32 meg video card, and install it on my overclocked 1.08 with the geforce 4 Ti (128) and 512 ram.

It runs awful. On the nVidia server with Battleaxe map I got an average of 13 fps. On less populated servers with the same map it was from 15-25. Must be the whole Motorola thing. Or is it just a bug with my system?

Now here's the tricky part: Should I keep it and hope future patches like 10.3.5 and any Aspyr updates improve things, return the game with CompUSA's restocking fee, or sell it?

If you have a G5 or some uber-system I can't afford, then go buy the game. It seemed really promising but I'm afraid mine doesn't make the grade.

EDIT: Incomplete sentence.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Frankly, I'm surprised.
    Your processor is fast enough, and your graphics card is certainly fast enough.

19. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Yea, I'm rather suprised myself. Same sorta thing happens in UT2003/4 where a dual 800 quicksilver can outperform me and I get crap on outside maps, or things with lots of action like Onslaught.. But then again that might not be the case anymore now that I wiped the HD.

Back to BF1942, no matter what the res or graphics or sound is set to the fps remains about the same. Anyone ever experience something like this?? :confused: I really want to keep this game.

20. snowdog macrumors member

What kind of connection you've got?
    Speed?

I haven't played the Mac version yet, but the pc version needs a good pipe when playing on servers with lots of folks.

21. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

2.5 megs down, 190kbps up.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Does the single player campaign play OK for you?
    Have you tried other servers, and do they play OK for you?

23. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I just got this game today. I haven't tried multiplayer yet but single player is rubbish. As someone already stated the enemy AI is awful. Also it seems like there is no one around. These are supposed to be these massive battles but there are only 10 players. You can just get out of the trench and run right over to the enemy lines without getting hit! Bahahaha!

If you want single player then get Call of Duty - keep away from this garbage. Performance is very good on my G5/Rad 9800.

24. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

So wait.....I have COD, so far the best WWII game ever, so would BF1942 seems like junk to me now that I have played and completed COD?

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, the first level is pitifully easy. It does get a little more challenging along the way. A little. Go ahead and crank up the amount of players and the difficulty. It gets hard, because your team gets more pathetically stupid.