BF1942 Secret Weapons Announced

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Aug 25, 2004.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I don't have BF1942, but for those who do you might like to know that the expansion to BF1942 is expected to ship in october. Here is the artical:
    Aspyr Media today announced it will be publishing the Macintosh version of Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII, an expansion pack that lets you control bizarre and lethal top-secret weapons of WWII.

Here's a bit more info on the expansion pack:
    Straight from Allied and Axis laboratories, many of these weapons never saw combat until now!

Defeat your enemies with a variety of experimental firepower, including the Wasserfall Guided Rocket, the Natter Rocket Plane, and the revolutionary Rocket Pack. Drop from a cargo plane behind enemy lines and prepare for close combat with one-shot-kill knives, new machine guns, and more. Give all of these weapons and vehicles a trial by fire on eight tough new battle maps.
    Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII is expected to ship in October.
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=10014
    I must say, for a expansion pack port that was quick considering BF1942 was just realeased.

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Might be interested in this expansion if my copy of BF1942 ran decent on my system. But the expansion looks twice as fun as the current version.

3. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's an intresting idea. I may want to get BF1942 now, I've heard it's not as good as CoD but it has awsome multiplayer and it has vehicals, atleast that's what people say.

4. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i have a question whats with aspyr and other mac porting houses when it comes to expansions i mean with all games that dont/didnt have expans you could grab the pc files and put them on the original game for mac and it works at least for me not saying this expan and others arnt wanted but wouldnt it be smarter to work on other games than expansions you can get else where

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Some expansions have re-written apps that require porting work. And unofficial installations don't guarantee compatibility and are rarely supported by the publisher.

The only commercially available expansions I can think of that worked relatively problem-free without having an official Mac version are the NWN expansions and Ghost Recon: Island Thunder.

Anarchy99, please use punctuation and make sentences. That was a mess to read and understand.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im going to disagree. i've played both extensively. cod is more of a fps, pretty linear. only difference in the game is takes acouple of bullets to kill someone in the beginning of the games. takes about 20 near the end, but is still fun.

you get 64 players geared up for bf1942. you have all these vehicles and you can do as you please, these real big maps, just an awesome time, and lots of coo mods. cod has cool mods as well.

they are both fun, but i don't put them in the same category. i would more compare cod with moh. now i am waiting for battlefield 2, looks like it will be so much fun.

iJon

7. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yes, Battlefield 2 looks nice. Watched the preview on G4 TV.

8. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I have purchased something like 12 games from Aspyr over the last 3 years - BF1942 was the first one where I felt truely disappointed and ripped off.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

why, cause it plays like ass?

iJon

10. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

It my mind it just did not seem like a commercial quality game. It was more like a shareware game that has been around a few years and has evolved a bit but is still obviously shareware.

Specifically it was more the poor AI, amatuerish animation, boring levels and ill thought out menus. The speed was actually ok.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

its a great game, no one cares about the AI cause everyone plays multiplayer. i played it on a dual g5 and it was awful. i was very dissapointed and sad the mac couldn't get this game to its full potential. the battlefield series is amazing on the pc side, one of the best games ive played.

iJon

12. relimw macrumors 6502a

Personally I think BF1942 is fairly decent, but there's no way it'll play on my desktop machine. Ah well, at least I have access to a 1GHz powerbook (which plays the game ok).

Too bad IBM couldn't deliver the 3GHz processors...and with 2.5GHz's being in such tight supply, I doubt I'll be able to get something new to play BF1942:SW anytime soon (dual 500MHz just doesn't cut it).

13. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, if you guys say BF1942 is that bad, maybe secret weapons will be better.

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I played BF1942 on my 1Ghz MDD/512/64 vram and it was awful. I play it now (somtimes) on my 1.6Ghz G5/768/64 vram and it's quite smooth.

Is everyone playing it on a G4 having problems? (Sorry, I haven't been following threads.)

15. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

My experience

I have BF1942 (the original) for PC, and while gameplay is okay, it should be much more smooth. For anybody that doesn't plan on playing online, skip this game entirely... The single player has no story, and in my opinion gets old very fast.