BFG 7800gs AGP in MY G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Fearless Leader, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I wanted to put some life in my G5, the crappy nvidia 5200ulrta 64mb ram was struggling with just the desktop on my apple monitor. Thanks to the geniuses at http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/ I got this card flashed, especially the user by the name nvflash.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

and how is it working for you? a nice improvement?

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Speaking of Strangedogs, the 7800GS ROM file has been released to the public.

But beware, this is NOT a flash for beginners, on a scale of 1 to 10 its a 9. If you consider doing this go to Strangedogs and dig around for GeForce 7800 threads and read them all.

The 7800GS AGP can work in some G4s and the G5 and will destroy any other AGP card in the Mac in terms of 3D performance.

Rokem
    , did the card require any hardware mods? I'm assuming nvflash gave you the reduced 64k ROM unless you had him do the flash (in which case I'm guessing he used the reduced ROM).

4. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

The released rom is the one I used, it is 64k exactly, no hardware mods needed. Also since the driver was originally wrote for my card no software edits to the rom were needed. I tried to write my own 64k, what a joy that was, but stopped after some contact that the 7800 rom was being released.

As for tests, I tried to play wow real quick but have upgraded to Burning Crusade on My MBP and couldn't play :mad: , On the 5200 and a 1900x1200 screen I was getting a frame a second. I will post improvements tomorrow when I have more time.

The desktop was awful, The 5200 card was hurting trying to draw windows as they were being moved. 7800, Beautiful.

I got really lucky, I bought it not knowing some didn't work due to some undocumented upgrades, It was 100 bucks off, and the rom was released a few weeks later.
    I bought the BFG AGP 7800gs oc 256mb gddr3. Its running at the non oc speed but will tackle that this weekend.

I was a beginner, it took me a month and a half to get a grip on this stuff, im still learning a lot. And yes read ALL the 7800 forms, many times, understand them.

5. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

My test for WOW:BC
    1 FPS 1900x1200 Max Settings for my lovely 5200 64mb of ram
    30 FPS Outdoors Max Settings 1900x1200 for the 7800gs
    50 FPS Indoors same res and settings

I bought the card at faster GPU and Memory Speeds and is performing slower. Im going to clock it back to the stock overclocked speeds, say that 5 times fast.

ohh yes I have a june 2004 dual 1.8ghz G5 and 2g main system ram.