Bias in the media, guess which way it leans?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Sep 18, 2005.

1. macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

2. thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I don't know who are worse, the politicians doing what they are doing, or the media moguls who accept hush money and support them.

3. macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm gonna say the public, for not demanding better from either.

4. macrumors 603

solvs

Damn liberal media.

5. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....the Canadian media is not much different...even as someone that socially leans very left I find it somewhat disgusting at how biased most of our media are. It is a wonder that this country has *ever* elected a non-Liberal government, and that is not a healthy political system.

Like I said - socially I lean very much to the left, fiscally a bit more in the middle/to the right...but that is despite what I se on my daily news, and what I hear from my so-called "leftie" cohorts....I find most of them more intolerant of other peoples views than the "rednecks" they criticize, and what makes it worse is they do it with such an arrogant, self-righteous attitude...sometimes it is a wonder I have not turned into a total right-wing nut...these people do more damage than good sometimes....oh yeah!

6. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sensation > Fact

7. macrumors 68030

FFTT

Another important factor that controls the media are it's
    major advertising accounts.

If you rub your bread and butter the wrong way they can pull their accounts and you're toast.

This especially holds true now with newspapers who are losing
    paid subscribers by the millions due to internet news readership
    and competing interactive blogs.

The one thing that the corporate owned media can not control
    are the growing number of alternative news sources on the web.

The advent of Podcasting and VIDEO Podcasting could very well change the way people get their news.

You, me or nearly anyone with camera and a microphone will soon be able to have their own Podcast network.

This means that your dirty little documentary that reveals
    something a bit too controversial or damaging to the powers that be, will actually have a chance to see the light of day.

And that's the news

8. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Ah, nothing like sensationalistic infotainment being passed off as news. I think nearly every newspaper, magazine, TV station, TV network, record company, and movie studio is owned by one of 6 mega-conglomerates in the US. Now that's scary. And it's funny to hear Sumner Redstone say that he feels Reps are better for business than Dems when it was deregulation in the mid-90's that allowed these mega-conglomerates to form. I think it matters less about parites and more about who's in power. If a Dem can help a company out they will lobby to a Dem. If a Rep can help them out they will lobby to a Rep.

FFTT,
    I think credibility and sheer numbers is the biggest draw back to podcasts, blogs, and other home grown sources of info. The great thing about it is that everybody can have a voice. The horrible thing about it is that everybody can have a voice. ;)

Lethal

9. macrumors 604

scem0

precisely. The public accepts anything and everything they hear on the news, which is just ludicrous.

_Emerson