Biden’s Gun Violence Event Interrupted By News Of Another School Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 10, 2013.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Crazy.

IMO, the item I bolded below is huge.

Link

2. macrumors G5

leekohler

But hey- according to glocke and others, there's not a problem.

3. macrumors 6502

This is sad... so many school shootings. Hopefully something can stop it all from happening...

4. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes, *ANY* shooting is bad, but...

This shooting, by accounts I have seen so far, there were two people shot. This means one of two things:
    1. This was not the "standard" (if there is such a thing) "random mass shooting by a deranged individual," and was more likely a targeted attack against an individual (or two individuals,) or...
    2. This was a "mass shooting," but was stopped early; either by someone on-site, or by police.

Although the latest update, by NPR, says one student shot (currently in the hospital,) shooter was a student, used a shotgun. Sounds like a targeted attack on an individual to me.

5. macrumors regular

I believe he knows there is a problem. Gun free zones. You just are going about the solution the wrong way.

Here is a tricky question. How many mass shootings have happened in areas that are NOT gun free zones in the past 10 years?

6. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Come on Lee, Glocke is not saying there is not a problem, he just does not want to see the 2nd Amendment raped.

Frankly the problem with all of this discussion is that the first people that need to be held accountable are the parent(s) of these individuals.

I was raised around guns my entire life and for the most part they were within "easy" reach. If a parent does not trust there child then they need to properly secure there weapon(s) in a safe of some kind and not give out the key/combination.

The first little blurbs I have read on Feinstein's bill are a little out there. I agree some control needs to be in place but... the crap she has on the list basically bans every gun that is semiauto or pump action. There are a number of things in that proposal I don't agree with but don't fell like going into them right now.

7. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Off the top of my head there was the one at the empire state building earlier last year, although I'm not sure if that counts as a mass shooting since most of the people killed or injured were accidentally hit by police trying to shoot the original shooter.

Then there was the one in Aurora, I don't think most theaters are "gun free zones"

Wasn't there a shooting at Ft. Hood a while back as well, I don't think that area is gun free either.

And I don't think the Tucson shooting was in a gun free zone either.

And I'm sure if I wanted to spend a bit more time I could come up with plenty more examples for you...

Edit:
    I'm also pretty sure that Columbine had an armed guard on campus at the time of that shooting as well...

8. macrumors G5

leekohler

The 2nd Amendment is in no danger of being "raped" as you say. Guns are not suddenly going to be banned, or ever banned. I have absolutely nothing against more regulation at all. I was raised with guns as well, but clearly, something is very, very wrong- and I highly doubt it's "gun free zones".

9. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

edited: Ill reply when i get home from work...

10. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Most in my area are and I would hazard a guess that most in the US are.

The only ones that are allowed to carry there were the military police and some higher up personnel who were given permission.

----------

If open carry is legal then I don't see a problem.

Anyone that is going to open carry is very unlikely to start shooting people.

13. macrumors 603

quagmire

Arming more people isn't the solution either.

14. macrumors Core

MacNut

Without knowing the details of this latest shooting, is the media reporting on mass shootings leading to copy cat shooters.

15. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've never seen any sign banning guns in any that I've been in, maybe there are in some places, but there are a lot where there's no explicit ban other than common sense...

Still, there were people with guns around which seems to disprove the argument that shooters won't do it if there are people with guns around.

16. macrumors P6

Peace

So we've gotten to the point where a mass shooting is bad but a murder is ok.

Any death by a gun is a death by a gun.

17. macrumors G5

yg17

18. macrumors Core

MacNut

Was Fort Hood a terrorist attack or a crazy shooter? The guy was a extremist social worker on a military base.

19. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it's more that for the people who are against guns mass shootings are the only things that get enough attention. And for the NRA and it's supporters they are all just necessary statistics to protect our right to have guns and are therefore both ok

----------

It doesn't really matter, possibly both, but still guns being around didn't stop it from happening like the NRA claims they do.

20. macrumors regular

The guy walked up and shot one person (an old coworker) in the back of the head and then walked off. That is not a mass shooting just because the cops that responded are horrible shots.

That theater is now, and was then, a gun free zone as most theaters are.

Only MPs are allowed to carry firearms on military bases. Since MP act as cops on the base it can be considered a gun free zone for "non police".
    That was not a mass shooting, it was a politically motivated attempted murder. I thought political rallies were illegal to carry at, but a glance at Arizona's laws on it lead me to believe you can actually carry legally there.

Keep trying, this is quite amusing.

21. macrumors Core

MacNut

The difference is that was an armed base and people were still killed. I would say it was different than if the guy went to a shopping mall and opened fire. This guy was trained by the government in how to shoot so do we hold them responsable?

In either event there should have been warning signs with the guy and he should have been stopped long before it happened.

22. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

There's a preservation of human life problem. Try and take away guns if you like, but criminals will just find a new way to cause chaos and destruction.

23. macrumors 6502a

webbuzz

The Empire State Building shooting
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/24/justice/new-york-empire-state/index.html

Movie Theater - It depends on the state law, if the theater has a policy of no firearms (OC or CCW), if they display a sign and if that sign holds legal weight in said state.

Regardless, if a business owner does not want a firearm carrier on their property, they can ask you to leave. If you do not leave you can be charged for criminal trespass, a misdemeanor or felony depending on state law.

Cinemark Theaters, where the Aurora shooting took place, does have a "no firearm policy."

Military bases
    The only people that carry weapons on a military base are Military Police and the civilian police force, which Ft Hood has. Weapons are stored in the armory. They are gun free zones.

Arizona shooting
    Was not gun free, it was in a parking lot.

24. macrumors 603

mrkramer

But what's to say that in the NRA's fantasy world every crazy person with a gun that decides to be a hero and stop another shooting from happening is going to be a better shot?

25. macrumors Core

MacNut

I would like to examine this one closer. If we can't trust trained military not to snap with an issued weapon, what chance is there for the rest of us. If the government can't tell that a soldier is about to snap and shoot up everyone how can we prevent a civilan from doing the same thing.