Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Big Ass Fans has unveiled the new 'Haiku' ceiling fan with 'SenseME' technology, which is billed as the world's first smart ceiling fan and features an on-board computer that utilizes a companion app on iOS devices. The ceiling fan is composed of a durable bamboo material and boasts an array of sensors that automate a number of tasks, such as adjusting fan speed and powering the fan on and off. The fan also learns a user's preferences based on weather conditions and a person's tendencies in a room.

haiku-with-sensme-800x355.png
SenseME monitors a room's occupancy and local temperature conditions, adjusting Haiku's speed when conditions change so the space is always pleasant. If you make changes to the speed, SenseME remembers and makes more personalized speed adjustments in the future; after all, comfort is personal. Haiku with SenseME turns any room into a comfortable, energy-efficient Micro Environment.
haiku-sensme-2-800x294.jpg

The Haiku's companion app provides the user with additional functionalities, including the ability to set schedules for the fan and select from a number of different control modes. The app allows users to group fans, and can also work without a home Wi-Fi network, utilizing the LAN provided by the fan's onboard Wi-Fi radio. iOS 7 devices compatible with the Haiku's companion app include the 5th generation iPod Touch, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, and iPads running iOS 7.

The Haiku with SenseME could also be a prime candidate for certification under Apple's new HomeKit initiative, which allows home automation devices and their apps to work with Apple's apps using a single, secure protocol. While Big Ass Fans and the Haiku are not currently listed under Apple's partners for the program, it is likely that this will change if the product becomes popular.

The Haiku with SenseME can be pre-ordered in fan diameters of 52'' and 60'' at a starting price of $1,045 with the first units being shipped in 8-12 weeks. Users may also choose to include a smart LED light on the fan for $95.

Article Link: Big Ass Fans Unveils iOS Compatible 'Haiku' Smart Ceiling Fan

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
While Big Ass Fans and the Haiku are not currently listed under Apple's partners for the program, it is likely that this will change if the product gains enough notoriety.

Surely if it gains "notoriety" (being famous for bad reasons), they would be less likely to become Apple's partners?

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Surely if it gains "notoriety" (being famous for bad reasons), they would be less likely to become Apple's partners?

Wrong word there! Of course, I meant if the product gets popular. It's changed now.

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
They seriously need to start the articles with the cost of these outrageously priced items. Then I don't need to waste my time ooh-ing and ahh-ing at this stuff

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
A bit pricy, but with home kit, it wouldn't be out of the ball park completely. I bought Hue and although also pricy, am really liking it. However, having multiple apps and multiple controlling devices (like the Hue bridge) will be problematic. If apples home kit works well, this would actually encourage people to buy more internet connected devices, IMO.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I suspect most people shocked by the $1k price of this fan have never had to buy an actual Big Ass Fan.

You're correct. I've never had to buy a Big Ass Fan. Because their prices have always been ridiculously high, IMO.

It's one thing when I pay more for a thermostat that does so much more, and makes my life more convenient, and saves me money in the long run. Or pay for internet connected LED lights that provide a much better environment in my home, use less energy, and last for over twenty years. Or pay for an internet connected sprinkler control that allows me to turn on my sprinklers from the sofa or from around the world, and that uses local weather data to modify my sprinkler schedule.

But ceiling fan technology has been pretty mature for a long time. I have been able to remote control my ceiling fan for decades. I can even remote control my existing ceiling fans using WeMo for $50.

Big Ass Fans might be really, really nice products. But I will likely never know for sure, because I believe they just don't bring enough value to justify their cost. That was true before they had an iOS compatible model.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I suspect most people shocked by the $1k price of this fan have never had to buy an actual Big Ass Fan.

Most people shocked by the $1k price tag don't find the price or features of the fan worth the $1k.

First things first it has to cool the room down and circulate air, at that point even a $100 fan will do the trick. The fans in my house range in price from $150 to $450.

This is just spoiled 1st world garbage.

I thought this was pretty cool and would've loved to give it a shot, but at $1k. No way. $150 maybe. $1000 ceiling fan is silly.

Same here, I was thinking it would be more competitive, you know so folks would be inclined to buy it for the features, as opposed to the fashion statement.

These are the Beats of ceiling fans I suppose.

I think dumb fan wins this round of home automation vs price

Yes, and at 60" it's not a Minkaaire Artemis, so very much not worth the price.

It could've been a contender.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
A $1,000 fan is probably more cost efficient overtime than extending your air condition to another room? Plus it takes care of the lighting you were going to put in there anyway? We used to have a solar panel that would power a fan in our sunroom.

You're not putting a $30 fan with $10,000+ worth of furniture by the way. :p.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

True. So many still only see and buy on price instead of value. It's surprising so many visiting this site still don't get it. Being a Big Ass Fan fan, it's well worth it if it adds value to your life.

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
This fan only has one competitor on the market, the Emerson Metro Eco, and it outperforms it on every level, at twice the price. I have been drooling over it for several months, trying to part with the money.

Performance wise, its lowest speed runs at 3W, and maximum speed at 30W IIRC, and has better CFM/W than anything in its class. The LED has 16 dimming levels, and at maximum was only 18W.

To compare, right now our $30 8" box fan moves 10% of the air and uses twice the power. If you are trying to run off grid or be net-zero this fan can't be beat.

Now the iphone integration is useless for me; I would rather have insteon integration to tie logical scenes in with other equipment, but complaining about the price is missing the point.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Seriously though. And also, what the **** kind of $1k fan doesn't already come with a lighting kit?

But at *only* $95.00, the light kit is 'reasonably priced'.

It's like, at that price, arguing over the factory floor mats for your Porsche... :D

Oh, and good grief... People complaining about the prices obviously haven't built a house or done any major remodeling. The prices for some items are just absurd... For the lighting in our new house, we paid what I thought an obscene price. 10 years later the price seems even more obscene as all of the fixtures have had to be rebuilt because they fell apart! Freaking 'Made In China' crap... (Kichler)

Still, the ISIS fan looks interesting. Odd website thought. There isn't any information on where to find these gems...

EDIT: Home Despot apparently sells them. Check out the price of that one! :eek:

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'll add this to my growing list of things to consider for my next house, which I'm hoping to custom design. Hopefully two things happen by then: HomeKit takes off, and these prices come down. I have a Nest and I feel like it has a fair price for the value added. I'm willing to pay more for these features—just not an order of magnitude more. I'm also willing to bet that the majority of those in the market for these types of products tend to agree. There will always be those with too much money who will buy at any price. The rest of us will wait until the market matures and we can get less buggy devices at a lower price point. There is a growing market segment of young, tech-savvy professionals who are buying their first or second home and want these fully connected solutions. This market is going to explode over the coming decade. I can't wait to say "Hey Siri, get ready for bed." Maybe one day I'll be able to say "Hey Siri, start breakfast. Maybe something with bacon?"

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I would never pay $1k for a fan. My $70 fan I bought at Lowes has a remote control capability and just works great. It even has lighting.

I saw another fan for $130 later on that I regret not buying that used a lot less power and moves slightly more air. That's a $60 increase for efficiency that would've paid off after a years worth of use. This fan has been going on for 4 years now with an issue. So to pay $900 more for a fan that the only additional feature is iPhone control is absurd. Anyone paying this price just doesn't understand the true meaning of value. $1000 could do a lot more for you than a fan can.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
apple needs to put out an app that consolidates the control of multiple home automation and digital appliances into the same well written control hub

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.