big ass monitors

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slinky0390, Dec 6, 2005.

1. slinky0390 macrumors regular

... just wondering what size monitor you guys are running with your 12" g4 powerbook. i want to get a 27'' lcd tv and use that but im not sure if the powerbook can support that much screen

2. Bear macrumors G3

It's not the screen size, it's the resolution of the screen that matters.

3. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

the resolution is 1280 by 768.. i think thats what it is... i noticed that that resolution isnt listed on the display options.. will my powerbook detect the monitor and change to that resolution or am i just **** outa luck

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If the PowerBook is connected to the display, it should detect it and display the resolution.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

that is gonna look like crap. A 15" powerbook is 1440x960. Have fun with that.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I've been using my iBook G4 spanning to a HDTV 1280 x 720 for about a year. Type's a little small from the coffee table with the wireless keyboard and mouse. Your VRAM gets split in half. With my iBook, that means I miss out on some graphic effects. My TV is a Westinghouse, and when I plugged it in, the resolution not only came up, but there was a 27" Westinghouse color profile available to select in the Displays Control Panel.

7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Looks like HDTV. From TV viewing distance it looks great AND slideshows in iPhoto look phenomenal. Yes, the resolution is a little low for palette-heavy apps, but it's great for web-surfing and email.

8. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

if i got a 19 or 20 inch will the vram sill have a significant loss, cus i want to get this monitor for editing video

9. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Mirroring the display means no video loss, but you're stuck with your portable's resolution. Spanning displays halves the VRAM. Half for each.

10. Merf macrumors regular

11. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Hah... Took me a second.

12. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

what if i was going to run the powerbook with the lid closed

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Then you use all your VRAM on the other screen. That's what you wanna do!

14. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Unfortunately, with mirroring, the only option will be to display the powerbook's resolution on the external monitor. Seeing that the powerbook's display is 3:4 and the HDTV is 16:10, you'll either have black bars or a stretched out image.

15. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

kk.. well instead of just kinda getting half answers that confuse me.. lol.. im planning on using the monitor as the primary display when im at my desk, and i want to use the powerbook with the lid closed. what size monitor would you reccomend for a 12" g4 powerbook, or a monitor that would work flawlessly with a 12" powerbook. a dell 19" lcd tv with the resolution of 1280x768, a westinghouse 27" lcd tv with the resolution of 1280x768, or a 20" apple display with the resolution of 1680x1050. oh by the way the all have 6.7 million colors.

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

From what I can tell in Apple's Support, you're still losing VRAM if Mirroring is activated. It sounds like you'll be wanting to span instead of just mirror, because of the aspect ration differences. Turn down the resolution and bit depth and refresh rate on your powerbook so that it demands as little VRAM as possible.

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

Mirroring also requires splitting VRAM between both monitors.

18. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I can't find anywhere that says it does so in clamshell mode, where ONLY an external monitor is driven. I've been looking around for a bit..

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

VRAM isn't as important to Video work as it is to games, so you should be fine with the higher VRAM Powerbook even if you have to split it. Again, with mirroring, your external monitor will have the same resolution as your powerbook. I only have an iBook, so I don't know if in clamshell mode you can use a higher resolution. If you are using this machine as a work machine, I would go with the higher resolution Apple Display. You'll appreciate the extra space. 1280 x 720 doesn't leave me much room for palettes.

20. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

ok.. im under the assumption that when an external monitor is plugged into the powerbook, the monitors optimal resolution comes up in the display pane. correct me if im wrong.. im just kinda concerned about all of this because its a pricey purchace and i dont want to screw up. the whole reason for the larger monitor is because i have been doing tons of video and photoshop editng and ive been getting eyestrain headaches mainly because im sitting 2 inches from my laptop so i can see every detail

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

That's my GUESS from what this non-Powerbook owning user can read.

I'd go to Apple's Powerbook forums if you're concerned.

My own personal knowledge base is exhausted. Good luck! :)

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

When I use my Powerbook in clamshell mode, all VRAM is used by the external monitor.

23. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm.. im getting confused, im gonna sound like a newb but, what is the definition of VRAM and what is it used for

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_RAM out

Your 12" PowerBook should have either 32mb or 64mb VRAM. If it's 1.33 Ghz or faster, then it has 64mb. Slower than that, 32mb.