BIG BIG QUESTION ALL.........

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by patriotn11, May 9, 2004.

1. patriotn11 macrumors member

After waiting for ever I got my BTO 17" PB 1 week ago and today I noticed (1) one- dead DOA pixel, I tried to firmly rub it with no help, DEAD dead. :mad:

$3000.00 later, It bugs the you know what out of me, what should I do, I am a new Mac guy and am thankful for opinion, :)

Michael

IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET RID OF THE TINY DEAD PIXEL

2. zach007 macrumors member

wait for six more and get a new one.. . I guess..

I just ordered my 15" powerbook today and hope and pray it's A ok :eek: .

3. vniow macrumors G4

4. ltgator333 macrumors member

oh dang, if I was you it would be back in the box right now.. I figure I shelled out the $$ for it it better be perfect..

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Send it back. Call Apple daily. Harass them. Call up and dispute any restocking fee with your credit card company. (If you paid for with one.) Never would I except a dead pixel on a $3,000 purchase.

6. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Goodness i hate dead pixels.I had a similar problem .ebay is another option .some people can tolerate dead pixels.Im sorry you have this problem.if you cant get another from apple.then sell on ebay.otherwise try to contact apple and keep trying

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have one dead pixel on my PB and its no big deal, now if I had 3 or 4 dead pixels than I would be pissed.

8. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Mac nut

It's tiney and it's closer to top the only reason I noticed it was while watching a movie and I saw it during a black screen scene.

It seems bright white, hope some day it will magicaly dissapear, lucky charms.

It seems it would be a big hassle taking it back, I have the 3 year apple care in case more show up.

I think I'll keep it.

Michael

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i dont know if this helps, but i have a 17" apple lcd, when i first got it i SWORE there was a dead pixel in the lower right hand. gentle massaging, q tips, whatever, did not work. so i moved the divider bar of my dock over the dead pixel, and after i eventually resized it it was gone. im not saying cover the pixel with a dark line, im just saying GIVE IT TIME, it's one dead pixel, I feel a resurrection brother! can i get an amen?

10. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

i have a weirder problem with my 17" PB...I have what seems to be a dead pixel OUTSIDE the screen area...i have my dock on the right side and the very next pixel OUTSIDE the regular dimmensions of the screen there is one single BLUE pixel among the black border of the LCD. Its bizarre and is CLEARLY outside the native resolution of my LCD. :confused:

11. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I have an idea- CRT Laptops -Just Kidding

12. abc123 macrumors 6502

i was looking at a slideshow of photographs the other day on my new powerbook, after a while i noticed a white dot on the screen and got a huge fright. when i turned off the slides it went away, i ran one of those pixel checks and nothing showed up but when i started the slideshow again it came back.
    it turns out that my camera doesn't record one pixel right near the centre of the pictures.
    i think that is more disapointing actually.

13. Elbeano macrumors regular

Unfortunately I think you have to have something around 4 dead pixels for apple to consider it a defective LCD. Reason being, if they were to reject every LCD as defective that had 1, 2, or 3 dead pixels, the price of LCD's would become unreasonable. However, I believe that if you were to have 2 dead pixels adjacent in any place on the LCD, then it can be considered defective. There is a post around that is not too old that explains this a little better. The only way to avoid this situation is to buy your mac in the store, and actually have them open it up before you leave.