Big cat to die out

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by commonpeople, Mar 10, 2005.

1. commonpeople macrumors regular

Well, assuming Mac OS X users take some interest in big cats...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4336071.stm

"The Iberian lynx, found only in Spain and Portugal, could become the first big cat to die out since the sabre- toothed tiger, a WWF report claims.

The critically endangered animal could become extinct within five years unless swift action is taken, the WWF says.

Lynx numbers have declined from 100,000 at the beginning of the 20th Century to around just 100-120 today."

Any thoughts?
    Christian

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Unfortunately, the population is so low with little genetic diversity, they would have to interbreed with other species in order to prevent the bottleneck effect of a limited gene pool. It is one of the concerns for Cheetah in africa, there is a captive breeding program where they are adding leopards to the mix, so the offspring released into the wild are 1/4 leopard adding more genetic diversity to the whole population.
    Sorry but it looks like this cat is going to go extinct within a generation

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly hope that the WWF will be successful in saving the Iberian lynx. Have been making a yearly contribution to them for over ten years. Have been concerned about endangered species.

4. commonpeople thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's such a shame, especially since they're such beautiful creatures. I wish Apple would help raise awareness about the plight of the big cats. They have such a strong and loyal fanbase which they could make use of. Would the WWF be the best organization to donate to with regards to this?

Christian

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Well, looks like time to cryogenically freeze the eggs, taken DNA samples, and decode the genome of this endangered cat, and perhaps in the future, we could re-populate the species.

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

At least this one is not on the USA's fault...sheesh - something should be done to keep the species alive.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think it's probably the best place to donate. They have been doing this for years.

http://www.panda.org/

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

WWF is a good organization. I really like and respect the people who work there after having worked on the 8th floor of the WWF building in DC for a different company for 11 years and played on their Ultimate Frisbee team for 10 years.

The sad thing is that by the end of the 21st century we'll probably see quite a few big game animals pass from the wild. But one of the biggest issues is that most people focus on the mega fauna and don't realize that there are many species that are going extinct as well.

D

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Species become extinct all the time. I mean, can we be really sure this is the by-product of man's viral growth?

10. commonpeople thread starter macrumors regular

Uh, yes. Large predators don't become extinct at anything like the rate that we've seen in the last century. How many big-cat species have evolved in the last 100 years compared to how many have died out? We're clearly not at equilibrium here!

WWF looks good. I'll look at their website.
    Christian

11. commonpeople thread starter macrumors regular

From WWF website
    http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where_we_work/europe/news/news.cfm?uNewsID=19078

With only 100 Iberian lynx remaining, the global conservation organization says that the EU is actively contributing to the decline of the species through funding road and dam development in remaining critical lynx habitat, and that key lynx territory needs to be urgently included in the EU’s Natura 2000 network of protected areas.*

---------------
    This new survey data makes the situation even more critical. Accidental deaths caused by speeding vehicles on the expanding road network are now the greatest cause of mortality for Iberian lynx.*

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Man will do his best to FK over everything else on the planet (including man). Get used to it.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

With comments like that, you don't exactly set a good standard there. The fact that some people care makes a difference, whether you do or not. Sure its going to get worse before it gets better, but that doesn't mean you just give up.

D

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I know one thing that is certain to my bones. We'll kill ourselves in a global nuclear war. No weapon has ever been created that has not been used to cause mass destruction. Ah well, with this prospect in mind, extinct cats don't really concern me too much.

15. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Haven't there been other big cats that died out since the sabre-tooth? The Javan, Balinese and Caspian tigers, and the Barbary and Cape lions come to mind (though these may be sub-species and not full species).

16. commonpeople thread starter macrumors regular

Good point! I wasn't aware of this..so I took a quick look at Wikipedia. Yeah.. they appear to be sub-species.. but who cares? Whatever.. it's still significant that the big-cats are dying out.

Well.. I'm going to donate 20 bucks to WWF.. not much I know.. but I think anyone who can afford to buy the OS X releases with cool big-cat themes should be able to afford a small donation. What's cooler? the fur pattern on the OS-X box or having actual big-cats in the wild?

I'd like to say that I'm amazed by the cynicism of some of the posters today.. but I guess I expected it. Wow.. we're the most intelligent species in the history of evolution and most of us are living in the richest country that has ever existed (i.e. the US). We're in many ways the most priviliged of the priviliged few. We're also the best educated generation that ever was. Don't you think we have.. uh.. some responsibility to the rest of the planet?

Christian

17. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Absolutely... couldn't agree more!! However...

Seeing the history of the human race (and our conduct both to other humans as well as other species), isn't it possible that that cynicism may be justified? I hope its not, and I hope that we are fundamentally good - not evil, but I really don't know anymore.

18. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I agree with many of the statements here, but it's a very fine line for developing countries. Who are we, the developed/industrialised nations of the world, to tell another country that you cannot create dams for hydroelectric power, or create roads because it would damage/destroy the habitat for these magnificent creatures. In the US, we killed off the buffalo herds. We are now decimating the wild horse population and letting them be sold at auction as food or pets! We do all these things in the name of "progress." Isn't it hypocritical to tell a developing nation that they cannot strive for greatness because to do so would compromise precious resources. How can we hold them back when we have made all the same mistakes in our rise to industrialisation?

Its a sad situation and I for one would like to preserve both the habitat and prey animals required by the big cats. Organisations such as WWF can buy tracks of land and preserve them as national parks, but what happens if something precious is found on the land, such as gold/diamonds/oil. The animals would lose out for the sake of money. Until we can change how man views the planet, I fear we are destined to destroy all those things we care about for the sake of money.

19. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I certainly agree that my statement was cynical, but I didn't give any indication, at least I didn't intend to, that I approve of what's happening. In fact, I'm disgusted by it. However, I've also been on the planet long enough to know that human nature doesn't change. Other than aliens coming down out of the sky and kicking our butts, I don't see anything changing the path man is taking.

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree that this is a tragic thing. When i was younger is was really obsessed with tigers, read all about them, and was really saddened by the death of the caspian tigers. I remember that at some point there was another subspecies, the sumatran tiger, that was down to perhaps 100 or fewer members, like this lynx is now. Anyone know if they still exist?

edit: did some checking and found that there are perhaps actually 400-500 sumatran tigers left. Very low, but better than I thought. Only 20-30 Amoy Tigers left though! damn...

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You have a good point, some animals like the Panda, have reached an evolutionary dead end by their reliance on a narrow range of food sources. The majority of species going extinct, however, are definitely because of the massive impact of homo sapiens. When a species' habitat is destroyed and its food sources eliminated it's pretty easy to ascertain that the extinction is because of us. Gorillas are a case in point and unless man is eliminated from their habitat, it looks as though they will be gone within a few decades.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Still the best thing that we as individuals can do it to join the World Wildlife Fund or some other similar organization. This is something that needs to be done by experts in the field.

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Looks like the caribou are the next to be on the extinction list.... :D Me's car's got to be fast.

24. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

species die out, its nature. many many many species have died out due to the living conditions around it. new species are created. its life