Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustardseed312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
Here's my dillemma: i need a laptop for school, and i've narrowed it down to 3 machines.
1. refurbished 12 in 800mhz g4 ibook: 256/30g/combo - $799
+ extra 512 ram and airport card • $200
(from expercom. can i trust these guys also?)

2. new 12 in 1ghz g4 ibook: 256/30g/combo • $999
+ extra 512 ram and airport card • $200
(from apple, edu discount)

3. new 12 in 1.33ghz g4 powerbook: 256/30g/combo • $1399
+ extra 512 ram • $120
(from apple, edu discount)

i want to go for machine #1 to simply save some money, but im not sure if it will be adequate for what i want to use it for. namely, the adobe suite for class, and final cut and motion for myself.

now i can afford any of these machines, but im taking out a loan on them, so im trying to avoid putting myself into too much more debt (already have a too large car payment). any advice? thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Performance-wise, you won't see much of a difference between the 800MHz and 1GHz. However, $200 is a small price to pay for buying a new system from Apple which you can, within the year, get AppleCare for as an extended warranty.

The PB is a really nice system, but the iBook gives you better bang for the buck compared to the PB; in other words, if you need the power of the PB (better graphics, etc.) it's a good deal, but most students (and most everyone) can get by just fine with the iBook. Plus, it's a bit easier to handle scratches on its case.

If it were me, I'd get the 1GHz iBook. If you were up in the 14" iBook range, I'd advise the 15"PB as a possibility. But, for $1K, you can't beat the iBook.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Also, I recommend getting the internal BT option. You might not need it now, but it will definitely come in handy within the lifetime of the iBook.

And, if you're not going to replace the HD with a faster one - a hack you'll need to do yourself (or pay a tech to do), I'd recommend the $25 bump from 30GB to 40GB (actually, probably less than $25 w/ edu discount).

mustardseed312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
well the 800 ibook is refurbished by apple so it's got a 1 year warranty, and is eligible for applecare. i guess thats the one im gonna go with. thanks

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I would also get the 1GHz model,the 512k L2 cache will make a difference....I went from an 867MHz 12" PowerBook to a 1GHz 12" PowerBook and the 1GHz was much quicker. The faster model will also have a higher resale value since theres no Mac's slower than 1GHz now.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Dont buy a used one, i have had many problems with used computers. You might save a bit of money at first but latter on it might cost you. The iBook can handle what ever you want to throw at it but not as fast as a PB. If you want to save then just get the iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.