big diffrence between dulies?????? my dilema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PlanB, Mar 9, 2004.

1. PlanB macrumors member

hi im hoping you will be able to help me out with my jam,
    i have had an offer of a 1.8 dualie g5 pm with 2gb ram ati 9600 card
    thrown in with this is an eyetv (usb), isight, airport extreme card
    and a wirless mouse with dlink bt... at a top price it would be about £3k new but i can get it for 2k gbp its only 2 months old and imaculate condition.... do i wait for rev b's????

plus the new lcd screens??? are they going to make the, in my opinion fantastic lcds go down in price or will they just come in at the same price as what we already have???

how important is ram in these machines???
    i was told by someone that a 1.8dp with 2gb ram in is as fast if not faster han a 2ghz dp with 512????

please help me on my dilema...plus will the rev bs be released in the uk at the same time as the us or are we normally a few months behind??

thanks

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

the difference between a dual 1.8 and a dual 2.0 Ghz is not noticable the 2.0 is only 11% faster than the 1.8
    go with that system that's a really sweet setup and will work well for many years and is very expandable

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I would concur. I'd snap that machine up in a heckuva hurry.

4. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well, assuming everything checks out (check PSU, no chirping, etc.); do some ram testing to make sure its stable (is memtest3.0 available for Mac).

Otherwise, I'd pick that up. 2gb RAM is huge in doing photoshop or other similar "optimized" programs. Obviously, programs not optimized can't benefit from that, but if you do Garageband/Pshop or other standard Apple apps, then 2gb is ridiculous (most people have 512 or 1gig to give you an idea of how much 2 gigs is).

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have a suggestion, go for the Firewire EyeTV or the Formac Studio TVR, because USB 1.1 just doesn't cut it for that kind of video. I haven't actually heard anything good about the quality of the USB EyeTV, and all the people I know (acquaintances all) have returned them because the video was sucky.

6. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I'll second that. Yeah most of the time, external (insert USB device) is not that good. Still, you could probably sell that eyetv for cash ;)

7. Opteron macrumors 6502

I'm guessinng the screen is not included.

Don't bother with LCD's, CRT's are still better for graphics, gameing, the list goes on. The only thing LCD's have over CRT's is that they are a little more compact.

8. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I disagree, LCD's are much more crisp than CRT's and new ones running at 16ms to 25ms allow for accurate DVD and Game playback. CRT's like it or not are out of the picture in the next year or two, if you buy a monitor get an LCD. PS, show me one CRT that runs on digital... hahahaha point proven.

As to comment, I would snag up this Dualie 1.8 if I was you, 2g of RAM is pretty sexy.

9. PlanB thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys will go for te dual 1.8 deal i think but shal i get 2 17inch monitors or one 20inch beast(both apple)
    of course im waiting till 10 am for the uk refurb shop t open.....heh heh

10. Torajima macrumors regular

I really like Apple's 20 inch monitor, but you can get two 19 inch sony monitors for about the same price. Not sure which I'm going to get yet...

As for difference in the dualies, I have the 2.0 at home and the 1.8 at work. There is very little difference, you'd probably only notice it if you do a lot of video work.

Huge difference between single 1.8 and 1.6 though.