Big Disapointments?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by elensil, Jul 17, 2002.

1. elensil macrumors regular

Definitely a dispaintment for me. I can't consider a new iMac a upgrade of the line. Its just a more expensive model. And for 2k i would just wait for a new power mac. The whole iMac & eMac lineup remained the same. Well i certainly don't want to buy a machine with an outdated processor (700mhz), outdated ram (SDRAM) and outdated video card (GeForce2 MX). Somehow Apple doesn't consider it logical to update hardware every 6-4 months (i might be a little off here). Well I am back to the waiting stage, waiting and waiting......

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

get over it

The economy is down, Apples sales are down, earning are down, stock is down, and all computer sales are down. And you want them to push a new computer?

-evildead

3. Coitus macrumors newbie

Yeah Evildead. I think that's a great idea.

Innovation drives the marketplace. Gives people a reason to buy. I can tell you I don't exactly have money burning a hole in my pocket right now but I do need a faster computer than the G4 400Mhz I'm using know. The costs of a new powermac doesn't jive with it's feature set. I can buy a faster machine for half the price, and will too, if August doesn't bring G5's and mind numbing performance specs from Apple.

You'd instead have us all wait for the latest and greatest innovation from Dell? Apple needs to pay attention to it's power users. The people who put the gas in the lear jet. The ones that are going to talk their friends into switching. Instead you've created at least one irate pissed off customer who's tired of waiting for 18 month old specs to finally make it into a half assed over priced box with a MacOS in it. iPod, SchmiPod. Who gives a crap. Maybe I'll buy a windows version to go with my new dual P4 wintel machine Apple's driving me into buying. Seeing as how I've lost access to itools I've got nothing left keeping me here in the mac world right? Not speed or performance that's for sure.

Let's face it I've been waiting for a decent speed boost from apple since OSX was a pipe dream called Rhapsody, and the 604 was considered fast. Since then I have been clinging to a platform that has been the dog in a horse race. Fast but not in the same league as the rest of the field. Plenty of time to make arrangements to adopt other technology. I'm just being proactive about the problem at this point and seriously looking for an alternative to the MacOS as Apple hasn't been giving me fast enough computers to do my job with anymore. Yes it's come to that. Photoshop filters aside my home Win2K box blows my G4 out of the water on big files. Try working on multilayer photoshop files that are over 1200MB in size with only 1.5gigs of Ram.

Todays designer needs more power than Apple can provide. Now they're even more behind and I'm even less inclined to buy another mac.

Coitus

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: get over it

Actually..... yes. Didn't Stevie himself say that Apple would "invest" during this economic downturn or something like that? (Paraphrased, of course). To me, that would include new technology, especially new computers.

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

its not that old

The current systems are not that old an you know what... I bet there well be a new one shipped shortly anyway. Aug 24 10.2 and new Pro Line? Power users and professonals will contiune to buy systems as long as they have jobs. Consumers are much more finnickie.

just don't take it so personal. It's technology

-evildead

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Something that has me a bit perplexed, though... Apple showed off Jaguar even though it won't be available to us until August, right? So why not do the same with the PowerMacs? Sure, it will make everyone hold out for them, but it would also get people pretty hyped! This leads me to believe that the next update will be nothing more than a speed bump. I think we'll be lucky if we see new cases or even DDR. I'm very skeptical now.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Okay, Coitus:

I'm running a 450 G4 with an nVidia Geforce 2 MX and 1Gb with a pair of 60 Gb ATA 100 Quantums. I'll be buying Jaguar and LMAO at skinflint whiney victims like you because I UNDERSTAND WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

Apple has just given me all the things I was wanting from OS X including Postscript for my HP plotter AND dumping a HUGE processor drain (GPU tasks in Quartz) onto my nVidia card which has been sitting idle. Suddenly my 4 year old machine will be able to use Altivec more than once a day and get REALLY DISGUSTINGLY FAST.

I may put a duelly card and a RAID array in there if I wind up serving but now I have the choice. This will make current Ghz G4's look frighteningly fast compaired to Windoze machines clocked 3* as fast with equally as much board-choke but lesser efficiency overall.

8. job macrumors 68040

job

Hahahahaha...:p

"G5" Hahahahahaha...:D :D

9. iGav macrumors G3

I'll second that as well.......

Hahahahaha... :p

"G5" Hahahahahaha... :p :p :p

Coitus......
    Well I manage okay working with 60GB digital video files with 512MB on a TiBook 500......... you say that Apple isn't giving you fast enough computers to do your work on anymore..... this from a person with a G4 400...... maybe you should try a Dual 1Ghz in the flesh and really see if you can't do your Photoshop work on that......... No offence but working in Photoshop isn't the most intensive of tasks........

10. Coitus macrumors newbie

Well I manage okay working with 60GB digital video files with 512MB on a TiBook 500......... you say that Apple isn't giving you fast enough computers to do your work on anymore..... this from a person with a G4 400...... maybe you should try a Dual 1Ghz in the flesh and really see if you can't do your Photoshop work on that......... No offence but working in Photoshop isn't the most intensive of tasks........

Yeah then try working on a 48" x 72" 360 dpi file with multiple layers and get back to me. Working on a what 640 x 480 file that caches maybe a minute forward or backwards of video is hardly as taxing on your system. If photoshop is such minor drain on today's computer why then does Mr. Jobs always insist on using it as a benchmark? Huh? The problem is not so much processor speed as it is RAM and Bus speed. Just opening the files takes forever and that's not a processor issue now is it? How do cope when a job needs twice as much or more RAM than you're allowed to use? Guess what. You switch to a system that gives you what you need. Isn't that how we all found the Mac?

If I'm gonna spend the $6,500 (Cdn.) WITHOUT A MONITOR for a faster machine right now, then I better get something better than the ancient architecture the powermac line is built on right now. I can get a kickass dual P4 system for that price with Three monitors and fill my car with a tank of gas to boot.

I'll upgrade when i see value in it. The current architecture is outdated and soon to be replaced, which should have happened eons ago anyways. Why should I invest in what they currently offer when I can get faster machines at half the price? I like the MacOS but I'm not stupid and I can't justify the expense/performance ratio of thier current lineup compared to a wintel box right now. I can make do for maybe six months but that would be it. In case you can't tell, I'm waiting for Apple.... they just might wind up having far more patience than me at this point though.

Let's face it. PC's had a 200Mhz Bus speed when Apple was still licensing clones. The Mhz wars are over. Apple lost. They're looking good to lose the battle of the bus speeds too.

All this coming from a "Die Hard Mac User". I'm just tired of making excuses for and getting them from Apple. Sure Moto's in trouble right now, but if Apple's gonna grow and survive then they absolutely need to find another solution. Maybe that's what's taking them so long? Nevertheless, I'm tired of waiting for Apple, and the iPod sure as hell won't put any food on my table.

Coitus

11. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

flying cars

If Apple doesn't come out with a Flying car powered compleetly by Mac genus bar water and my own fleeling of self satisfaction, by 2003, I am going to sell my Apple stock and never buy another Mac again.

-evildead

12. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Coitus

It soulds like you need to step up to a bigger box. The xServer might be a good box for you. You do a lot of disk intensive tasks.. and if you know much about modern hardware, the disk is the bottleneck in any system. When apple shipps the 2GB fiber disk array for the Xserver... then you can get some real power out of it. When you out grow that... get another one and cluster. Or... you need to move to some Big 12 CPU Sun Ultraspark servers. but.. only if you have the $200,000.00 to spend.

13. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: flying cars

Hahahahaha...
    Roflmfao

:D :D

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of sucks, I was sort of hoping the iBrator would be announced today.

Maybe next month we'll get the BIG announcement that'll please the pro crowd.

15. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

The iBrator is SOOOOOO 1999. :p

BIG announcement like, the iEnlarger? LOL! :D