BIG Feature Missing on ALL iPods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by newportnews, Nov 9, 2005.

1. newportnews macrumors newbie

I have been a Mac user for the past 10 years and owned an original iPod, a 3G 15GB iPod, a 30GB iPod Photo and now a 30GB iPod Video (yes I am a junkie).

One feature that after all these years I can't believe the iPod doesn't have is -- PLAYLIST SPECIFIC Shuffle.

iTunes lets you set DIFFERENT shuffle settings for DIFFERENT PLAYLISTS.

Meaning that I can have certain playlists that will shuffle (ex. an 80's mix where I don't care if the songs are played in order) and certain playlists that will not (ex. I might want to listen to a SYMPHONY in order without shuffling around).

The iPod IGNORES these settings. It doesnt care if I have a PLAYLIST set to shuffle or not.

Therefore my only option on an iPod is to shuffle EVERYTHING or NOTHING.

If I have shuffle turned on it will shuffle both the symphony playlist and the 80's playlist -- again IGNORING the shuffle settinngs from iTunes.

The only thing I am saying-- and hopefully I have boiled down to its essence for understanding -- is that the iPod SHOULD REMEMBER AND HONOR YOUR SHUFFLE SETTINGS FROM iTUNES.

This woukd be SIMPLE -- the current settings for shuffle on the iPod are "Songs, Albums or Off" -- all you would havbe to do is add "Same as iTunes" to that list so that the iPod would REMEMBER whether the playllist shuffles or not in iTunes and DO THE SAME THING.

80 GB HD
    Superdrive

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I had to read your post like 3 times and I'm still not sure what you mean.
    It would take like 2 seconds to select your playlist going, then go back to the "Settings" on the iPod and set up the shuffle how you want it? - Wouldn't it?! :confused:
    So the feature is there sort of right? Hmm..

Seamless (aka no gaps) playback on iTunes and iPod for me is a lot more of a wish - It can kill the mood on a mixed album.

3. newportnews thread starter macrumors newbie

To simplify my statement...

iTunes does not have a UNIVERSAL shuffle setting. Each individual Playlist remembers its own shuffle setting. So you could have 25 playlists -- 10 with shuffle on and 15 with shuffle off.

While, as you said, you could just go back to settings everytime and switch the shuffle setting, this is nowhere as simple and intuitive as it could be -- especially on an Apple product.

Just like on the iPod, Photos can remember what song a slideshow has in the background (why is this necessary -- you can simply click back a couple of menus and pick any playlist) -- Apple has made it very intuitive by merely saying "From iPhoto"

I just think that if you could sync the shuffle settings from iTunes to iPod playlists it would be a lot easier and a lot less screen navigating.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you really think that's a "BIG" feature missing? :rolleyes: :confused:

must say a lot for how the iPod gets everything else right... :D

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Under Settings, you can turn shuffle on for Albums, Songs, All, or Off.

Then that playlist you play will shuffle.

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Um ... I can shuffle my entire library, and that's pretty much good enough for me. :)

7. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Yeah I also had to read it about three times before I got what you're saying.

Why don't you just set it to shuffle songs? That's what I and many other folks do, it's like 3 button clicks to get there from the main menu, not exactly rocket science or a huge pain. If you want a extra button for it, it's just not gonna happen chief, they won't even add a dedicated volume button on the sides for simplicities sake.

8. newportnews thread starter macrumors newbie

Shuffle "Songs" on the iPod shuffles ALL songs in ALL Playlists. All I 'm saying is that the iPod should be able to remember what your playlist in iTunes is doing -- is it set to shuffle or not? and mimic that activity.

No additional buttons on the unit needed. Merely add "Same as iTunes" to the shuffle setting and that's it.

9. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the one feature the ipods needs is to be able to turn off the screen. Esp now with the color screens, it would save a lot of battery life. If your playing a playlist with like 100 songs, why do u need the screen, you selected the song so you'll what song it is.....

11. dreamcast macrumors newbie

12. newportnews thread starter macrumors newbie

Oy... I guess it isn't a big featire if NO ONE understand what it is
    :rolleyes:

OK...

One more time...

iTunes lets you set DIFFERENT shuffle settings for DIFFERENT PLAYLISTS.

Meaning that I can have certain playlists that will shuffle (ex. an 80's mix where I don't care if the songs are played in order) and certain playlists that will not (ex. I might want to listen to a SYMPHONY in order without shuffling around).

The iPod IGNORES these settings. It doesnt care if I have a PLAYLIST set to shuffle or not.

Therefore my only option on an iPod is to shuffle EVERYTHING or NOTHING.

If I have shuffle turned on it will shuffle both the symphony playlist and the 80's playlist -- again IGNORING the shuffle settinngs from iTunes.

The only thing I am saying-- and hopefully I have boiled down to its essence for understanding -- is that the iPod SHOULD REMEMBER AND HONOR YOUR SHUFFLE SETTINGS FROM iTUNES.

This woukd be SIMPLE -- the current settings for shuffle on the iPod are "Songs, Albums or Off" -- all you would havbe to do is add "Same as iTunes" to that list so that the iPod would REMEMBER whether the playllist shuffles or not in iTunes and DO THE SAME THING.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

why a nano, just get a 512MB shuffle. :p

15. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

ohhhhhhhhhhh ok....now..i... STILL DONT GET IT!!!...nah i'm jk ...you should just EDIT ur initial post with this explanation cuz its much better...i agree get a nano..

16. crazyjoeda macrumors member

I would like to see that aswell. It would be easy to do with an iPod update.

17. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Actually, IMO the BIG missing feature is gapless playback. Oh, how I long for thee, gapless playback.

18. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Come on guys, it's not that hard to get it, and the idea it's actually good.

Let me see if people can understand it from me :p

What newportnews is suggesting is that iTunes syncs the shuffle setting. (The shuffle button at the left-bottom corner of the iTunes window). For example, let's say that you prepared playlist "A", and you want that to play in order (shuffle off), and you have playlist "B", which you want to play in random order. In the iPod the way it is now, you have to switch the iPod shuffle setting. If you want A to play in order you have to change the settings, if later you want to listen to B, you have to change the setting again. If newportnew's suggestion were available in the iPod, you wouldn't have to change the setting everytime you want to jump from playlist A to B, instead, the playlist uses the same shuffle setting that you defined in iTunes. Basically, he wants the iTune's shuffle setting to be synced with the iPod too. Remember the each playlist has its own shuffle setting.

Nice idea!

19. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I posted on this before. Turns out the screen takes up very little battery The battery is mostly drained by the HD.