Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm getting the urge to clean mine too. Maybe on Sunday once I'm done cooking for the weekend. Tonight is dreaded lawn mowing.

I used a scraping tool to get most of the gunk off and the carbonized oils. I came across a product today and thought it was neat. What are your thoughts? It's called a grill brick by ACS. Heavy duty carbon fiber infused material that's made for cleaning carbon buildup without damaging grates.

Why would you clean the inside of your grill? It took me years to build up a nice thick layer of burnt-on goodness.

That's like grinding the seasoning off your cast iron skillet; madness, I say.

I know you're joking (hopefully), but that dried crud is a massive fire hazard. I've never left a cast iron pan seasoned. I've always washed it and reapplied a thin sheen of cooking oil to prevent rust. The seasoning as you pointed out is baked in.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I know you're joking (hopefully), but that dried crud is a massive fire hazard. I've never left a cast iron pan seasoned. I've always washed it and reapplied a thin sheen of cooking oil to prevent rust. The seasoning as you pointed out is baked in.

I was not in any way joking.

The still-slimy crud is a fire hazard. The dried crud isn't. Leaving it on the inner walls of the grill actually improves the flavor of the food cooked inside, provided it's been heated long enough to properly season the walls by holding in smoke and keeping the metal/ceramic/whatever from offgassing into the cooking chamber. I'm not talking about soft/semi-liquid grease.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I was not in any way joking.

The still-slimy crud is a fire hazard. The dried crud isn't. Leaving it on the inner walls of the grill actually improves the flavor of the food cooked inside, provided it's been heated long enough to properly season the walls by holding in smoke and keeping the metal/ceramic/whatever from offgassing into the cooking chamber. I'm not talking about soft/semi-liquid grease.

Hi Tomorrow. That's fine if it's works for you and you like it. The dome heat and humidity can cause that flavorful crud build up to drip or chip onto the meat. I don't like that. I would think that crud build up could even add an acrid flavor. People have different experiences, approaches, and preferences. There's no one size fits all.
[doublepost=1466126321][/doublepost]
I used a scraping tool to get most of the gunk off and the carbonized oils. I came across a product today and thought it was neat. What are your thoughts? It's called a grill brick by ACS. Heavy duty carbon fiber infused material that's made for cleaning carbon buildup without damaging grates.

Nice. I've not heard of it. Im darn lazy sometimes to a fault. I just get it as hot as I can and hold it for 1/2 hour or more. Once it cools that crud has bubbled up and peels/falls off. That clean enough for me. :(
[doublepost=1466128830][/doublepost]Here's an article on the topic.

Cleaning And Maintaining Your Grill Or Smoker
"It's hard to be funny when you have to be clean." Mae West

By Meathead Goldwyn

Contrary to what your neighbor says, greasy grill grates and carbon buildup on the lid do not improve the flavor of your food. Rancid grease garnished with scale is not something I see on restaurant menus very often. When grease burns, it makes acrid smoke that can ruin a meal. And grease buildup has caused many an inferno. A clean grill is a good grill.

Before each cook you need to do a little light cleanup to keep your grill or smoker performing optimally, to prevent off flavors, and to prolong your cooker's life. Then, once a year your device needs a more thorough cleanup and maintenance. If you use it a lot, do a thorough cleaning two or three times a year and before you store it for winter.

Before you start, check your grill's manual for any special instructions. If you can't find it, it may be available on the manufacturer's website for download.

Remember: A clean grill is a good grill.

Cleaning your cooking grates
Grease and oils get rancid, particularly in hot weather, and rancid grease on the grates can make your food taste bad. Rancid grease on the bottom of the grates can vaporize and flavor the food, too.

The black crust on the grates is mostly carbon. It tastes bad. In addition carbon insulates the grates and can stick to food. So it is vital that your food go on clean grates.

Click here to read my article discussing how to clean grill grates.

The interior of the cooking chamber
Many websites and books tell you to cover the grates with foil and crank up the burners. They reason that the reflected heat will carbonize everything. This blocks ventilation, forces hot air out through the knob holes and that could melt plastic dials and flexible hoses, warp metal, and crack ceramics. Don't do it.

Scale is a buildup of carbon, soot, creosote, combustion by-products, and schmutz, usually on the hood and sides.

carbon_scale.jpg

Scale can drop from the hood onto your meal. Scale also decreases the reflectivity of the inner surfaces and that can reduce heat. I don't worry about a thin coat of carbon, but when it starts to crack and curl, I scrape it off and vacuum it up. A plastic putty knife and a good vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment are handy for cleaning the interior of a grill.

The complete article.
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/grill_and_smoker_cleaning_and_maintenance.html

Last edited:

ACE83

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Man.. Love love love my egg. Just picked up a large a couple months ago but already smoked twice and grilled numerous times. Got a large and ended up building a table for it because I was nervous it was going to tip over in just the nest. With proper care I suspect this will last the rest of my life.

Fire is easy to get HOT fast and holds low temps crazy well.

Bought an iGrill mini for watching the meat temps when smoking. Pretty neat device. Bluetooth range is only limiting factor.

Also replaced the daisy wheel with a stainless chimney cap. The setting stays when opening the lid (plus I think it looks cooler):
http://smokeware.com/collections/chimney-caps

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Hi @ACE83 - Glad you're enjoying it. What have you made so far? I have a couple friends who use and really like the iGrill. I wish I had looked at them more closely before buying something else.

I use a Maverick to monitor the temp and a DigiQ DX2 to regular the pit temp.

ACE83

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Hi @ACE83 - Glad you're enjoying it. What have you made so far? I have a couple friends who use and really like the iGrill. I wish I had looked at them more closely before buying something else.

I use a Maverick to monitor the temp and a DigiQ DX2 to regular the pit temp.

Smoked chicken wings with hickory one night and a turkey breast with Apple wood another. Both came out really good. I think I left the turkey on a *bit* too long or had the pit temp a too high (it was creeping towards 250 by the end) bc the edges were a little dry but still ok.

Roasted a whole cauliflower head indirect at around 500 for an hour that was awesome.

Then just burgers, various veg, chicken breast, sausages, etc regular grilling things.

Oh almost forgot, I did pulled chicken another time too smoked with hickory. Another hit.

Looking into getting a spider and carbon steel wok for doing real high temp stir fry next.

Possibly also looking at the pizza route but I have a baking steel in my home oven and a dough recipe that does a really good job already so that's not a priority.

I'm just loving playing/experimenting with this thing and food always comes out pretty great.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Roasted a whole cauliflower head indirect at around 500 for an hour that was awesome.

That's sounds pretty good. How did you serve it and did you serve it with cheese or something like a vinaigrette?

I sliced grilled peaches and laid them across cookies and cream ice cream. That was pretty good and worth doing again

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
@ACE83 - I just rubbed on butter, ground pepper, and celery salt with a squeeze of lemon then wrapped it in foil. When time permits would you let me know what you did, please?

Renzatic

Suspended
I did it. I finally did it. I've managed to make something truly good across the board in my smoker, without any if's, and's, or but's. These pork ribs came out all around EXCELLENT!

Ribs1.JPG

Ribs2.JPG

The three things I did differently was not overthink the rub, just using a quick salt, pepper, paprika, and brown sugar mix, cooked it at a lower temperature, and used actual cuts of hickory, rather than the pre-bagged store bought stuff. The strange, almost chemical taste that overwhelmed my last two honest attempts was nowhere to be found. All I tasted was the meat and the smoke.

It was delicious!

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Dang not only did they taste good they look good too!
Success feels so good doesn't it brother?

Reactions: Renzatic

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Man.. Love love love my egg. Just picked up a large a couple months ago but already smoked twice and grilled numerous times. Got a large and ended up building a table for it because I was nervous it was going to tip over in just the nest. With proper care I suspect this will last the rest of my life.

Fire is easy to get HOT fast and holds low temps crazy well.

Bought an iGrill mini for watching the meat temps when smoking. Pretty neat device. Bluetooth range is only limiting factor.

Also replaced the daisy wheel with a stainless chimney cap. The setting stays when opening the lid (plus I think it looks cooler):
http://smokeware.com/collections/chimney-caps
I have the chimney cap and love that thing. In Memphis we can get huge downpours without notice, so I prefer it to the daisy wheel. I have the spider and wok, but you have to be careful, the thing can get ridiculously hot. I have an iGrill, too. With the Apple Watch, you get about double the range. There is nothing wrong with the Maverick, though. I still have mine, just in case.

I was "watching" this thread, but didn't get any notice that there had been activity. Glad to see so many new posts. I am going to make a pork butt next weekend, so I did a quick lookup of this thread. I have mainly been using the Egg for searing food I made via Suos Vide, but I am getting ready to head into my favorite part of the year for grilling, so I should be using it a lot more for the next several months. We have a pool, so while it is hot as heck out there, I spend a lot more time out there this time of year.

Reactions: ACE83 and Gutwrench

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I did it. I finally did it. I've managed to make something truly good across the board in my smoker, without any if's, and's, or but's. These pork ribs came out all around EXCELLENT!

Ribs1.JPG

Ribs2.JPG

The three things I did differently was not overthink the rub, just using a quick salt, pepper, paprika, and brown sugar mix, cooked it at a lower temperature, and used actual cuts of hickory, rather than the pre-bagged store bought stuff. The strange, almost chemical taste that overwhelmed my last two honest attempts was nowhere to be found. All I tasted was the meat and the smoke.

It was delicious!

Job well done!

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I made the pork butt. Turned out pretty good. The thing usually lasts for a week unless I give a lot of it away, so I only make them a few times during the year, but it was nice to use the Egg for more than a hour for a change. I went ahead and cleaned out the entire Egg, so I was a little worried when I realized my bag of lump coal wasn't as full as I thought. However, I got through the process without a problem.

By the way, I light my Egg using an electric starter. I used those little wood starter chips for a while, but the wand doesn't ever need replacing so it works best for me. For my kettle grill, I use one of those chimney starters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.